+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Adobe Reader X 10.1 out in Technical; We have a problem that when pupils try to open a PDF from within Powerpoint 2007 on machines with Reader ...

Thank Post
    We have a problem that when pupils try to open a PDF from within Powerpoint 2007 on machines with Reader X it takes ages (5 minutes or more) but if the same machine has reader 9.30 it opens straight away.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh joy! Right... gonna do some shameless blog promotion! Im playing with AppV and you can sequence Adobe Reader. Saves it being "installed" on the machines, and you can simply update your AppV snapshot. Hell... theres even an "get it going quickly" helper too :-) Links over on my blog, literally just posted it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    just ignore it
    This is why I'm looking forward to Windows 8. It has a built-in PDF viewer (just like Mac OS X).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quite frankly, a couple of fonts not properly rendering is absolutely minimal compared to the bloaty, buggy cack that Adobe seem to have installed in many of our brains as the only option to read PDF Files.
    Rather like if Hoover were the only brand of vacuum cleaner anyone actually knew about thanks to the name, yet it wouldn't suck (yet sucked at the same time) without draining the national grid of it's power, stealing your spouse and running off with the car. But you accept it, just because that's what it does.
    Do the world a favour, get rid of Adobe Reader.

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

farmerste (6th July 2011)

Thank Post
    If only it was that easy. A lot of software looks for adobe reader and only adobe reader and ignores everything else. Other products that work fine with other readers may only be supported by their tech support if you have adobe reader.
    I don't find the reader *that* buggy, it's flash that drives me crazy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thats exactly my point - lazy coders that look specifically for one particular program. And they get away with it! If a website refused to work with anything but Internet Explorer they'd find themselves losing a hell of a lot of business.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    If only it was that easy. A lot of software looks for adobe reader and only adobe reader and ignores everything else. Other products that work fine with other readers may only be supported by their tech support if you have adobe reader.
    I don't find the reader *that* buggy, it's flash that drives me crazy!
    Yes, that makes me angry too, our delightfull pile of MIS from MUSAC does the same thing with its installer despite being a reported fault then kindly offers to install Acroat Reader 5 for you Arrrrghhghhh. I have made and posted a reg hack here under the NZ MIS secton to trick it though. It is just lazy incompetent programers that keep adobe PDF reader in circulation which is ironic as that is the same crew that seem to write it.

Thank Post
    Anyone had Protected Mode errors with Reader X? Had it on a machine the other day and it wasn't happy, not sure if it's redirected Appdata \ roaming profiles again?

Is the latest version of 9 OK with appdata? Lost track of the fixed \ bugged \ unsupported status of each Reader update as they seem to break as much as they fix each time

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    9.4.2 works with redirected AppData and is ostensibly a supported scenario, so long as your share has the permissions it requires. Users must have the Traverse directory permission on every folder from the root of the share through to their redirected AppData folder, even if they only have actual read access to their folder.

My own testing of 10.1 indicates that Protected Mode is still broken for drives maps to DFS shares, though it seems to work with raw UNC paths. Also, if you turn it off, you may get the following error when double-clicking some (but not all) PDFs on a UNC path (DFS or not):

Oh, and it does it with Outlook 2010 attachments too. The best part is that if Adobe Reader is already open, it doesn't do it - only if Reader isn't open already, and only with a seemingly random selection of documents.

I've finally given up with Adobe and am in the middle of testing a Foxit Enterprise Reader deployment right now.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 27th June 2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: 9.4.2 info

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Thats exactly my point - lazy coders that look specifically for one particular program. And they get away with it! If a website refused to work with anything but Internet Explorer they'd find themselves losing a hell of a lot of business.
    I think you'll find those coders just get a job in enterprise app development, where you get paid so long as it works in IE 6.

(yes, I know the reasons)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I've finally given up with Adobe and am in the middle of testing a Foxit Enterprise Reader deployment right now.
    I have been looking into this but was put off as it seems you need to apply reg frags to configure some stuff such as auto update.
    At least Adobe Reader has the customisation software to configure the deployment.

How are you going about customising the deployment?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12