+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Tablet for teacher to VNC to Desktop in classroom? in Technical; It has been suggested the I.T teachers would find a mobile tablet useful. They want to be able to work ...

Thank Post

Tablet for teacher to VNC to Desktop in classroom?

It has been suggested the I.T teachers would find a mobile tablet useful. They want to be able to work on their desktop then when walking around the class be able to use the tablet which will control thyeir desktop. So i'm assuming a simple VNC option will sort that.

Next is type of tablet, Are any of the tablets out at the moment windows based? Or if on Google does anyone know of anyone Android VNC clients i could use to achieve this?

The other option i have i think would be to try and use a Dell Inspiron Duo tablet assuming its not a great deal heavier than a pure tablet.

Anyone implemented anything like this before or have any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    Are any of the tablets out at the moment windows based?
    Windows is still rather fiddly to use with a touch screen, especially on a smaller tablet/laptop screen, although with a stylus it's not too bad. The new RM slate and the Intel Classmate PC work well with styluses. I have an installation script install a VNC server on a machine with a randomly-generated password and then generate a shortcut to a VNC client in a location only teachers can access, so any teacher can control any screen but pupils can't. This should actually let multiple teachers control a screen at once, which might be handy.

Thank Post
    humm i just want the teacher to be able to control his computer at the front of the class while he is talking with a student. I think unless someone has actually done this, i'm going to have to set this up and see it for myself as i'm not sure how well the touch capabilities will work when a windows desktop is squashed down into a tablet sized screen and over a VNC client.

Thank Post
    if memory serves, the logmein software is available on tablets now. Not sure on pricing but i've heard of it doing well on the xoom tablet, not sure about other tablets tho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    humm i just want the teacher to be able to control his computer at the front of the class while he is talking with a student.
    Yes, this is exactly what I've set up here - we have several front-of-class machines that teachers can VNC into. We have a couple of people with iPads and a classroom with a couple of Windows XP Tablet PCs. You'll probably want to make sure the VNC server is password protected otherwise pupils will have all sorts of fun taking over the screen. The best way I could see to do this was to create a shortcut that opened up the VNC client with the (randomised) password specified. Again, best not have those shortcuts available to pupils, so they're on a teacher's-only shared drive.

Thank Post
    im not saying its not doable but rdp on my eeepad while it works using a touchscreen isnt exactly great (esp right click) though i was using as hign a res as it would let me and was using it to edit a gpo. Not sure about vlc not looked (as a point does vlc work on win7?)

woukldnt a wireless keyboard mouse make more sense and be cheaper when the teachers invariably drops it?

log me in for android is about £20 iirc
    Last edited by sted; 13th June 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Thank Post
    the teacher wants to be able to demo things though either to the class or individual students without having to be sat at his desk, so being able to have a tablet and sit with a student i assume will give them a more personal learning experience. We already have tighVNC setup around the school so have an idea how to get it working so i think we will just have to get some on trial and see how they work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    im not saying its not doable but rdp on my eeepad while it works using a touchscreen isnt exactly great
    If performance or screen size is an issue, using the iPad or other touch device as a remote touchpad seems to work well:

Touchpad Pro

Although, as you point out, a wireless keyboard and mouse would be way cheaper than buying an iPod touch or similar just to use as a touchpad!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Much better to get the teacher using the Tablet natively without the VNC really.

There is software available from the app store for viewing powerpoints and taking registers on sims already. I don't know what else a teacher would really need to be honest.

I'm sure its only a matter of time before there are no need for fully blown laptops anymore.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    If performance or screen size is an issue, using the iPad or other touch device as a remote touchpad seems to work well:

Touchpad Pro

Although, as you point out, a wireless keyboard and mouse would be way cheaper than buying an iPod touch or similar just to use as a touchpad!
    technically it works well enough responds quickly and the screen size itself isnt an iassue its just the res the app i have it just shows it actual size so 1280*800(iirc) on a 10" screen is small and trying to click things with you fingers isnt easy

Thank Post
    how about an Ipad and Splashtop Remote

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    im not saying its not doable but rdp on my eeepad while it works using a touchscreen isnt exactly great (esp right click) though i was using as hign a res as it would let me and was using it to edit a gpo. Not sure about vlc not looked (as a point does vlc work on win7?)

woukldnt a wireless keyboard mouse make more sense and be cheaper when the teachers invariably drops it?

log me in for android is about £20 iirc
    £20 for the app? jesus sod that. Get flash player installed and use the browser version. Cant believe they have priced it that high.

Thank Post
    Most of the current crop are pretty unusable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread