+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, DNS Help in Technical; Can anyone spot my deliberate mistake? I am looking at setting up DNS records for our switches, WAPS and a ...

Thank Post

DNS Help

Can anyone spot my deliberate mistake?
    I am looking at setting up DNS records for our switches, WAPS and a few other devices that sit around the network so that they have friendly names to get at the Web Admin pages and so the helpdesk system we are trialling can get the friendly name rather than just the IP.

In DNS I have added the a Host (A) record for our core switch, core, pointing at the IP address. There is a PTR record in the Reverse Lookup area pointing to core.DOMAIN and I can ping both IP and core and get response.

Problem is that if I enter core or core.DOMAIN into the browser I don't get anything back. Now is this just me expecting too much or do I need to add anything else to make this work. Virtual Jaffa cakes to correctly work out where I have gone wrong

Thank Post

Re: DNS Help

First guess would be to set *.DOMAIN in IE as an exception to not go through your proxy server

Your DNS setup sounds fine

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Are you using a proxy server in your browser? Is so does the proxy know the addresses are local and/or the browser has the addresses listed in its proxy exceptions list?

Thank Post

You know when you end up looking through so much documentation and settings and stuff you forget to look at the simple stuff...... Of course adding them as exceptions would work... Why wouldn't they....... Damnit. I can not describe how much documentation and help sites I have been through and how silly I feel.

Jaffa Cakes should be shooting down the Ethernet as we speak!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information