+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Printing Error with long filenames in Technical; Hi all, We're having an interesting problem here with printing from Gmail / Google Docs. If they don't download the ...
    Thank Post

Printing Error with long filenames

Hi all,

We're having an interesting problem here with printing from Gmail / Google Docs.
    If they don't download the attachment and rather choose to view the attachment and print from within their browser, the document just sits in the print queue saying "Printing" until after a few minutes it changes to "Error Printing" and just sits.
    Everything else in the queue then just gets stuck behind it until I delete the problem document.
    There is a screenshot attached showing the problem. I suspect it's due to the hella-long filename of the document to be printed, is there anyway to fix this or do I just have to drill into people to download the attachment?

Printing Error.png

(On a slightly different note - is there no way to have a print queue skip any error docs and continue with others?)

Thanks!

Nick

Thank Post
    Hey Nick,
    We are having the exact problem you experienced. We also use Konica Bizhubs for some areas of the school.
    Have you found a fix at all?
    I'm considering using Post script drivers but I don't hold out much hope that it'll work.

Thanks
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Parker View Post
    Hi all,

We're having an interesting problem here with printing from Gmail / Google Docs.
    If they don't download the attachment and rather choose to view the attachment and print from within their browser, the document just sits in the print queue saying "Printing" until after a few minutes it changes to "Error Printing" and just sits.
    Everything else in the queue then just gets stuck behind it until I delete the problem document.
    There is a screenshot attached showing the problem. I suspect it's due to the hella-long filename of the document to be printed, is there anyway to fix this or do I just have to drill into people to download the attachment?

Printing Error.png

(On a slightly different note - is there no way to have a print queue skip any error docs and continue with others?)

Thanks!

Nick

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Is the document over 255 characters long? Or are there any unusual symbols in the file name?

This looks to me more a Google issue rather than an issue with your printers.

Thank Post
    Hey guys,

Still no luck, I thought it might have something to do with Papercut and have sent through the logs to Papercut Support to take a look.
    Will keep you all posted.

@Michael - It does look like the print job name is over 255 characters long. Some of the characters included in the name are : / = ? +
    I guess this could be causing problems? It makes sense that it could be a Google issue, however, I would expect thousands more people to be having the same problem?

@joematthews - have you have any luck with Postscript drivers? I'm using PCL as it allows us to watermark the print jobs with the user's

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I think it's a combination of length and the characters used. If everything else prints, it proves the point there's nothing wrong with your printer or the driver and that it is indeed a Google issue. I take on board what you're saying though that many millions of people use Google's services everyday.

Thank Post
    Had a similar problem and the file names was one of the things a search threw up as a possibility. However, checking the paper sizes are set correctly (see post) may help. (It has - so far - here).

I think it may be to do with Google considering all documents to be letter size.

Thank Post
    Another update, it turns out it's not a Google related problem, it's definitely to do with the length of the filename - had a student who named a Word document with one heck of a long name and it also stuck in the queue.
    After some further testing, this seems to be an issue only with Konica Minolta printers, our Samsung & Canon printers handle the long file names fine.
    Time to get hold of Konica Minolta

Thank Post
    Another thought, is there no way to have a Windows print queue automatically skip a document in an error state and move onto another document?

Thank Post
    Has anybody else experienced a problem with Konica Minolta printing documents/print jobs with names longer than 255 characters?
    Does anybody know of a way of automatically truncating the names?

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Hi Everyone,

I believe that this issue is related to the firmware on the machines. There's a 256 character limit on the path and filename length. There's a firmware fix for the 361/421/501 series but the other series are still being fixed.

I'm a Konica Dealer and I've requested the firmware be created but I'm not sure when it will be done. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Parker View Post
    Has anybody else experienced a problem with Konica Minolta printing documents/print jobs with names longer than 255 characters?
    Does anybody know of a way of automatically truncating the names?

Thank Post
    Hey guys,

Just an update for you, I've been doing some more playing around with Papercut to try reduce the Document Name to less than 255 characters and have discovered the following:

I first tried a script:

function printJobHook(inputs, actions)
    {
    if (inputs.job.documentName.length > 99)
    {
    actions.job.changeDocumentName("[Document Name Reduced]");
    }
    }​
    This would work to change the document name shown on the release station window, however, the document name in the print queue wasn't changed so it didn't solve the problem.
    I then tried what this article suggested:

PaperCut KB | I want to hide document names on windows printer queues

And that seems to have worked - it's not ideal as it's hiding the document name on every document printed throughout the whole school on any printer, BUT, it's better than nothing until Konica Minolta release better drivers.

Thank Post
    We had the same problems with our canon printers and google docs. We use iPrint and found a TID with the solution. You may be able to use a similar solution with the Konica printers.

www(dot)novell(dot)com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7010312

Thats the link to the TID, sorry my post count is too low to post the actual link. It looks like switching from LPR to RAW may work on any printer plagued by this issue.

Hope this helps.

-Ryan

Thank Post
    We had the same problems with our canon printers and google docs. We use iPrint and found a TID with the solution. You may be able to use a similar solution with the Konica printers.

www(dot)novell(dot)com/support/kb/doc(dot)php?id=7010312

Thats the link to the TID, sorry my post count is too low to post the actual link. It looks like switching from LPR to RAW may work on any printer plagued by this issue.

Hope this helps.

-Ryan

14. Thanks to RadschlagR from:

Nick_Parker (19th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread