+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Laptop keyboard and touchpad stop working when "Windows Starting" appears in Technical; Have a sony vaio laptop running windows 7 but when the laptop starts up the keyboard is working fine and ...
    Thank Post

Laptop keyboard and touchpad stop working when "Windows Starting" appears

Have a sony vaio laptop running windows 7 but when the laptop starts up the keyboard is working fine and the LED for Num lock comes on, pressing caps lock causes that LED to come on. But when the laptop gets to the "Windows Starting" part of the log in the LEDs switch off and the keyboard and touchpad is unuseable.

Anyone had similar problems? Have tried taking the battery out holding power for 10 seconds, running only on AC power. Restoring back to a previous time when it was working.

Thank Post
    whats it do in safemode?

Thank Post
    Same, no keyboard or touchpad

Thank Post
    Just had a similar problem with some XP machines when imaging went a bit wrong - the USB drivers managed to become 'unsigned' so would not install without user confirmation so keyboards and mice didn't work before logon.

Solution on XP was to delete the Catroot2 folder then restart - not sure if that'll apply to Win7 though.

Thank Post
    No effect im afraid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    attach an external usb keyboard and mouse and see if those work ?

I presume all usb related items in the bios are enabled ?

If you can get an external usb keyboard and mouse attached and working you can then use those to mess around with settings etc to see if anything will fix it

ie re installation of drivers for at least the touchpad , not sure about the keyboard

Removing them from device manager and allow them to re install ?

Thank Post
    USB keyboard and mouse work thats how I was able to try and delete the folder, so its something that happens when windows loads. Unfortuately its a sony so the drivers on website are basic and just say use "sony Care" which of course is no use at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    USB keyboard and mouse work thats how I was able to try and delete the folder, so its something that happens when windows loads. Unfortuately its a sony so the drivers on website are basic and just say use "sony Care" which of course is no use at all.
    Boot into safe mode with networking , device manager --> expand the usb section --> delete all the USB Root Hub items --> Install the latest chipset drivers which should hopefully re do the USB items, install the touchpad driver

Whilst in safe mode under the keyboard section ( am going from xp so win 7 may be different ) remove the HID Keyboard device and you can either scan for hardware changes by right clicking on the computer at the top and scan for hardware changes or reboot to see if that fixes the USB side of things.

Most likely require a reboot

Also is there a physical slider switch to disable wireless / bluetooth etc and does this make any difference when on or off ?

Found this

http://doube.org/sztp.html

From this forum :

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/58009/

obviously not sure what model of sony you have so not sure if its applicable or relevant
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 6th June 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Thank Post

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    Have a sony vaio laptop running windows 7 but when the laptop starts up the keyboard is working fine and the LED for Num lock comes on, pressing caps lock causes that LED to come on. But when the laptop gets to the "Windows Starting" part of the log in the LEDs switch off and the keyboard and touchpad is unuseable.

Anyone had similar problems? Have tried taking the battery out holding power for 10 seconds, running only on AC power. Restoring back to a previous time when it was working.
    Been searching around google to best describe what was happening with my VAIO laptop and this was exactly it. Have you ever found a way to fix this? I cant use my laptop at all have to use a usb keyboard n mouse instead.

Just happened today and I need to fix it asap before I go back to school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread