+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, How can I edit our mandatory profile? in Technical; Stuck on IE7 due to old software that won't run on 8!...
    Thank Post
    Stuck on IE7 due to old software that won't run on 8!

Thank Post
    Try computer -> admin -> windows components -> I.E. -> Prevent performance of first run (go to home page).

Also IE8 is a real sod inregards to proxy settings and local CUSTOM settings. Local CUSTOM settings are applied "on launch" therefore overriding your GPOS. GRRR!

Also if someone has a local cached profile that was wasnt mandatory (.dat) then the following could happen: they login, the .MAN is copied but the previous .DAT takes priority, hence the .MAN is never used. Worst still, the .DAT is migrated back when they log off. GRR!

BJG
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Our mandatory profile was created ages ago and I can't remember how [to edit it], as is always the case with me if I haven't done something in the last month I forget it.
    Likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The way I do edits to mandatory profiles is to make a copy of it, change the ntuser.man to ntuser.dat, assign that copy to an account, edit what I want to and then do a 'copy to' in System Properties->Advanced->User Profiles, to create a clean version where I change the ntuser.dat back to ntuser.man.
    OK, I'm trying that, but getting confused. Is this still the relevant approach for Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7...? I copy the profile to a new .v2 folder, but when I try to log back in as the relevant user I get: "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access is denied."

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BJG View Post
    Likewise.

OK, I'm trying that, but getting confused. Is this still the relevant approach for Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7...? I copy the profile to a new .v2 folder, but when I try to log back in as the relevant user I get: "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access is denied."
    No. You have to craft your profile during initial setup of a machine, before sysprepping it - then once the machine has booted, you can copy the default profile off and rename that how you wish.

This is the Microsoft article about it - Customize the default local user profile when preparing an image of Windows

BJG
    Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean...we have a working mandatory profile with Windows 7 clients, but I need to make a change to it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BJG View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean...we have a working mandatory profile with Windows 7 clients, but I need to make a change to it.
    What sort of change? It depends what changes you need to make.

BJG
    Thank Post
    I'm actually trying to cure a strange glitch when the students run Excel, whereby they frequently receive a "Could not open file" error when trying to open documents until they run IE and close it. (Strange but true).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You should be able to open the ntuser.man file using regedit if you need to edit the registry. Editing other things will mean you have to go back to the original creation stage but I'm not sure. Not sure about the app data part though!

Thank Post
    As far as my own mandatory profile, albeit on a standalone PC, if i want to edit anything, i just rename the ntuser.man to ntuser.dat, log in as the user that the logon is assigned to, edit away. once done i just logout and rename the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man again.

If however youre trying to edit things that may be disallowed via GPO and arent editable when logged in as that user (though you can temporarily disable GPO's), and it is a simple change/edit that can be made via regedit, i would try the aforementioned load the ntuser.man hive, assign it to a temporary key (i always use 11111111) in regedit and edit the necessary registry entries, then unload the hive and test.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 13th May 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No. You have to craft your profile during initial setup of a machine, before sysprepping it - then once the machine has booted, you can copy the default profile off and rename that how you wish.

This is the Microsoft article about it - Customize the default local user profile when preparing an image of Windows
    Sorry to go OT, but...
    Thats actually not the only way to do it. Thats what Microsoft SAY is th eonly way to do it properly....

See my posts
    here: Mandatory profile and Group Policy Preferences
    and here: Prevention of file creation, etc

Between those two are the methods and tools i used to set up my mandatory profile - kiosk/guest user standalone PC

Its targeted at a non domain PC with roaming profile, my needs were quite specific, but its good info to have in case you go down this path someday

I use DefProf from ForensiT Free Downloads to copy over the customised profile to default, this tool does it properly, unlike every other way suggested, and it avoids having to do the sysprep garbage

I really need to combine those posts into one, if only for my own records ....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 13th May 2013 at 12:24 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12