+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Roaming Printer, is this possible?? in Technical; we have 3 laptop trolleys in the school and a printer in EVERY Classroom. I have an idea to mount ...

Thank Post

Roaming Printer, is this possible??

we have 3 laptop trolleys in the school and a printer in EVERY Classroom. I have an idea to mount a printer on top of each laptop trolley therefore the printer will move with the laptops for students to print, meaning we could get rid of A LOT of printers in the process.

Is this possible? the printer would have to be connected to the wireless, so i guess a wireless printer would be needed or some sort of wireless AP hooked up to the trolley with the printer connected to this with a cable? and then provisions made for a power plug for the printer as well.

Anyone do this, easy to do or are there laptop trolleys designed like this already as i can see it becoming messy with all the cables if i was to try and implement this ourself with our current hardware?

Thank Post
    It should be pretty easy asuming the laptops stay with their assigned trollys - using Group Policys or scripts to assign printers based on OU's or computer names, I'd imaging there are examples of both methods around here somewhere

You can get wireless printers although I haven't seen a wireless laserjet as yet(haven't been looking for them) but as you mentioned you could stick an AP on the trolley if needed.

James

Thank Post
    You wouldn't need a wireless printer - surely you'll have to plug the printer into a wall socket for power, so just educate teachers/students to plug the network cable in at the same time?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    You wouldn't need a wireless printer - surely you'll have to plug the printer into a wall socket for power, so just educate teachers/students to plug the network cable in at the same time?
    but personally i don't keep non-used ports active - would mean that you would have to connect every socket as you can be 100% sure that they will pick the only disconnected sockets in the building!

But i assume its possible as Jamman960 says there appears to be a few printers out there which are wireless but not 100% sure if they are any good!

Thank Post
    yeah i could get them to plug in the power and network cable but im worried about the messy cables, as im not sure how the cables would be stored when not in use (i dont want them dangling around). I'd much prefer everything to be incoperated into the one trolley, so the power to the printer coming from the trolley and then maybe just having to plug the trolley in at the wall (which staff normally do anyway) and have the printer wireless either through a wireless printer or plugged into a wireless AP (if this is even possible?)

Thank Post
    Fair enough - do you have Ruckus? If you do, you can setup mesh networking, and plug the printer into any network point on your Ruckus AP, as long as the AP is in range of another AP you'll get an IP address :-)

Thank Post
    Ruckus APs have additional ethernet ports on them that you can connect devices to - this might be a nice neat solution.

<edit> Beaten to it!

Thank Post
    nope, i have 2 spare 3com AP's but they only have 1 etenret port, and there are 2 ports on the back of my laptop trolleys which ive never really looked at what they can be used for, but i assume one would plug the AP into it and the other would go to a live wall ethernet port, leaving nothing to plug a printer into. A wireless printer i'm worried may be a bit "un-usable" on a g network and crawl with a class of 30 sending documents to it, dont suppose anyone has experience of this though?

Thank Post
    Look at something like a Netgear WGPS606 attached to the printer. Laptops print to a central printserver, which passes it to the printer on the trolley.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JezR View Post
    Look at something like a Netgear WGPS606 attached to the printer. Laptops print to a central printserver, which passes it to the printer on the trolley.
    good call although id then need a power plug for that too and think it could start to become unmanagebable and more stuff to "go missing" or break as it will all be on show for students on top of the trolley when they go to collect a laptop.

Thank Post
    I've hot glued ours to the printers.!

Thank Post
    Bandwidth wise it'd depend on the size of the documents being sent to it but that'd apply to a wired printer also - I've seen documents with large pictures push 200mb+ to a printer when printed despite the original document being much smaller, if all 30 laptops were to send such documents at the same time you'd have an issue whether the printer is wireless or not although I suppose at least the data would be on a faster link when heading back from the print server to the printer itself if it were wired.

I would always have the printers setup to print via a print server rather than having the pc's interact with it directly, you then have more control over the queues and can install print quota/monitoring software if needed.

Thank Post
    brother do wireless lasers. I have seen this setup in one of the schools my company supported (not me personally and we no longer do). Basically the printers was left on the laptop trolleys which were colour coded so green trolley and associated laptops / printer had a green sticker and so on. The printers seemed to work fine (took a bit longer than some wired printers to actually get started from being turned off but not much) and it seemed to work quite happily (though that particulat printer i have used the non wifi version in one of my schools and it was a nightmare kept needing the "overflow" ink chamber emptied and kept rejecting cartridges even originals

as far as setting up the printer goes it was just added to the server on port xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as you would a normal printer client just printed to \\server\greenprinter and the server doled it out to the printer same as any other network printer and deployed in this case via a script but no reason why it couldnt be via ad
    Last edited by sted; 24th May 2011 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JezR View Post
    I've hot glued ours to the printers.!
    are you actually using this kind of setup then?
    The printer would be on a print server, its just i had reservations about connecting it to the network wirelessly, i think i'd have to trial it as i'd be worried about the reliabiltiy of it. My main problems is just manging all the plugs and wires on top of the trolley unless i could come up with a way to tidy them away somehow.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    brother do wireless lasers. I have seen this setup in one of the schools my company supported (not me personally and we no longer do). Basically the printers was left on the laptop trolleys which were colour coded so green trolley and associated laptops / printer had a green sticker and so on. The printers seemed to work fine (took a bit longer than some wired printers to actually get started from being turned off but not much) and it seemed to work quite happily (though that particulat printer i have used the non wifi version in one of my schools and it was a nightmare kept needing the "overflow" ink chamber emptied and kept rejecting cartridges even originals

as far as setting up the printer goes it was just added to the server on port xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as you would a normal printer client just printed to \\server\greenprinter and the server doled it out to the printer same as any other network printer and deployed in this case via a script but no reason why it couldnt be via ad
    How were the printers plugged in power wise? to the wall or somehow to the trolley then the trolley plugged in. If in the wall were the power cables just left to hang or what?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast