+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Help with some windows errors (please!!) in Technical; I've got a windows storage server on my network which is the keystone of my network, providing all my storage ...

Thank Post

Help with some windows errors (please!!)

I've got a windows storage server on my network which is the keystone of my network, providing all my storage needs. I've been having problems with this server recently with it becoming un-responsive, not letting you log onto it and stopping you using shared resources, usually coupled with lots of errors in the error logs. I can't even start to work out what's happening, it's a little beyond me to decypher these messages, and the mircorosft help site is about as useless as a chocolate fireguard. So I turn to you, can you help??

The latest errors are as follows;

wuaueng.dll (1008) SUS20ClientDataStore: An attempt to create the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\tm p.edb" failed with system error 1450 (0x000005aa): "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. ". The create file operation will fail with error -1011 (0xfffffc0d).

and

wuaueng.dll (1008) SUS20ClientDataStore: Unable to write a shadowed header for file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\tmp .edb. Error -1011.

But I've no idea what it relates to, or how to solve it! Shortly after generating these errors, the server becomes un-responsive, and won't let you log in or connect to shared resources on the server. A reboot is needed to get it back, and then it'll be OK for about a week or 2 then the same thing will happen.

I'm also getting errors on backup EXEC to do with resources. Even though the drive storing the catalog files for backupEXEC has over 50GB free, it still complains there's not enough space for the catalogs, but strangly not every day, even though it runs the same backup job every day! Exactly how much space does backupEXEC need to run?

There's lots of other errors on this server (it's generally not very well) but these two are the main ones concerning me at the moment as they are both causing the server to fall over.

can anyone help, or direct me to somewhere that can??

Many thanks,

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Help with some windows errors (please!!)

Looks like you've go a badly behaved program chewing up resources and not letting them go rebooting would fix it but after time it would chew up the resources again. Can you have a look and see what processes are running on the server? When it started to happen had you installed anything new patches et cetera?

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Also check out KB304101/KB177761 on MS's site these may help not sure though.

Wes

Thank Post

Seems to me that something has gone skewed with the SUS 2.0 install that you have on this server.

I do remember reading somewhere that SUS and windows Storage Server 2003 was not a good idea but I can not remember where.

Check the Event logs for anything that stands out, if you do not know what a certaqin event means check out http://www.eventid.net this is a really good placeto find stuff out.

As you say there a lots of errors on this server what I would do is clear the event logs, re-start the server and then check the logs again as any errors will be generated in order so you can see what is happening first as the two errors above could be due to previous errors that you may be missing.

Thank Post

I've been doing some reading and realised (as mentioned) that it is something to do with the windows updates on the machine. What I've done is put it in its own OU so WSUS won't control it, and also turned automatic updates off for the time being. I've also followed a microsoft article on resetting Windows Update Services on the server, so we'll have to see what happens!

Cheers,

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread