+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Proxy settings not being applied - GPO - XP in Technical; I have this problem but it seems to be an IE8 issue for me. XP SP3 clients everything was fine ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    I have this problem but it seems to be an IE8 issue for me.

XP SP3 clients everything was fine last year but I've rolled out IE8 over the summer and now when students log in they don't get proxy settings, do a gpupdate /force solves it

Ben

Thank Post
    P.S. As I said in my previous post 18th August, thanks to all for info on the subject 'proxy settings not applying' - I would like to pass on our latest findings. After giving up with policies, we went down the 'wpad.dat' route , both in DHCP & DNS, it was still giving us grief :-( - so, more investigating and hair loss, discovered that previous proxy entries in policies we had tried different settings and they create install.ins files within the user part of the policies folder in sysvol. Although the setting is disabled and not visible, at a later time and another setting is created somewhere else - those install.ins files still remain and they seem to lurk around and cause us this problem. There is probably an explanation buried deep in some Microsoft documentation and has yet to be deciphered, but we in the real world however, need something more realistic....so, search on the 'policies' folder within 'sysvol' for '*.ins' files and then find out the policy names using the long ID number, this will tell you which policy you are expecting it to work from, then delete the other '.ins' files so they don't get in the way…now our proxy policy updates as expected. We might experiment with the wpad.dat file in dhcp again, but at a quieter moment in the school holidays, I think ;-)
    Hope this might help….

;-)

3. Thanks to MikeAtTrs from:

plexer (16th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Mike.

My issue with proxies not applying appears to have been down to using an old outdated mandatory profile.

I've switched students to their own roaming profile and policies appear to be applying correctly.

Ben

Thank Post
    HI

Have you the correct adm for the version of I am guessing internet explorer? If you have not download it and install it in the gpo and try that. We started having problems when wsus upgraded from ie7 to ie8.

Also have you a corrupt policy. Try creating a new gpo with the essential setting from the old one and swap over. This fixed ours.

Richard

Thank Post
    I tried with a new GPO and a test user and that didn't solve it only when they had a profile they could write to did it work.

Ben

Thank Post
    I realise this is an old thread, but thought it was a relevant place to post...

Is it possible to setup WPAD without TMG? As TMG has now been discontinued and I'm having similar issues to the OP - everything I can find on the web is relating to TMG.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12