+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Weird: printer mapping issue in Technical; Don't know where to put this. It follows on from another thread, but decided to start afresh after further testing. ...
    Thank Post

Weird: printer mapping issue

Don't know where to put this. It follows on from another thread, but decided to start afresh after further testing. (Previous thread Logon script suddenly throwing up error).

We have 98 laptops and 31 desktops on the domain. Server 2003 and clients are XP Prof.

50 laptops of one model, all imaged from build of first one. 48 laptops of similar model, all imaged from build of first one.

Computer names for laptops are YRx-number (eg. YR3-01). Half of each year group is one model, and half the other.

All laptops in same OU in AD, not split by year group.

At login, script runs that maps drives and printers according to first two or three letters of computer name. Same script on all machines. Was running fine. Now getting scripting errors coming up on YR3, YR5 and YR6. These relate to two HP 2200dn printers, both same age. Other printers fine.

I know you're thinking it's a scripting error, but hold on. YR4 laptops are fine; we can't get a scripting error on YR4 laptops at all and they map the printers fine. So to test if it's machine specific (we've tried every other combination of tests we can think of - different room, wired/wireless, etc), we renamed a laptop that doesn't work for printers so that the name starts YR4. Still doesn't work for those printers. Can't manually map the printers, can't map them with script.

Tried it the other way (and this is all from the same room). Renamed a YR4 laptop to YR3. Still works for printers, can map with script (no scripting error) and can map manually.

I hope someone out there is sitting there thinking the solution is obvious.... Please tell me what I'm missing!
    Last edited by Andie; 19th May 2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Bad title!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    For one of the laptops that it wont map manually, if you use the servers ip address instead of its name ie

\\a.b.c.d\Share

Where a.b.c.d is the servers ip addy, is that any better??

Also on the non working laptop doing a repair on the connection so it does the following

ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns

And also clearing arp

Also if you do an nslookup on the server name and ping the server name

They all showing up in the same subnet and they getting a valid / correct ip address and if you take a non working laptop and gpupdate /force

Possibly taking one off the domain and putting it back on ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 19th May 2011 at 10:20 PM.

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Andie (21st May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    For one of the laptops that it wont map manually, if you use the servers ip address instead of its name ie

\\a.b.c.d\Share

Where a.b.c.d is the servers ip addy, is that any better??

Also on the non working laptop doing a repair on the connection so it does the following

ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns

And also clearing arp

Also if you do an nslookup on the server name and ping the server name

They all showing up in the same subnet and they getting a valid / correct ip address and if you take a non working laptop and gpupdate /force

Possibly taking one off the domain and putting it back on ?
    Thanks for this checklist. We have done a few ip based tests, but I will go through your suggestions nest week, and try to be systematic about it. One question: what is clearing arp?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Thanks for this checklist. We have done a few ip based tests, but I will go through your suggestions nest week, and try to be systematic about it. One question: what is clearing arp?
    Correction - its clearing the arp cache ( address resolution protocol )

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/382998/repair-network-connections-programatically-from-command-line

You can reset winsock and the likes as per the above url but I would leave that as a last resort

The other thing is checking the event viewer on a non working laptop for any driver issues

Had an issue where the print server had the correct driver but due to either windows updates or wsus the client side driver on the print server was down graded and hence the print server was pushing out the wrong out dated client side print driver which omce updated on the print server and re sharing the printer and pushing it out with a different share name fixed the issue
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 21st May 2011 at 10:16 PM.

6. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Andie (23rd May 2011)

Thank Post

Tentatively: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    The other thing is checking the event viewer on a non working laptop for any driver issues

Had an issue where the print server had the correct driver but due to either windows updates or wsus the client side driver on the print server was down graded and hence the print server was pushing out the wrong out dated client side print driver which omce updated on the print server and re sharing the printer and pushing it out with a different share name fixed the issue
    Ah! I haven't gone through the checklist for dns/network issues yet, as the above rang a bell. I had already gone into the event viewer on a few of the laptops. One thing I did notice was that the Colour Laser driver was coming up as updating from time to time, but nothing for the Y4 and Y5 Lasers.

So I looked on the HP website to see if there was a driver I could download to try. Downloaded the PCL 6 driver to the server and used the New Driver button on the Advanced tab of properties for Y4Laser to install the driver. Tested mapping on a non working laptop, and now both Y4 and Y5Laser mapped. Brief delay, but they mapped and then showed up in printer settings window. Checked Event log and both the PCL (Y5Laser) and the PCL 6 (Y4Laser) drivers had been updated to the client side.

Checked the new driver would print from applications, and there was an issue with publisher docs. So changed the Y4Laser driver back to PCL using the Advanced tab in printer properties. Checked another laptop. Still mapping fine. Checked application printing and still fine.

Checked a few more laptops at random from Y3, Y5 and Y6, and desktops in Suite. All now fine. Reinstated the logon scripts, tested and no errors.

It looks like it is fixed. To me, it looks as if, for some reason, the drivers weren't being pushed out to the clients for these printers, and the act of installing the new driver triggered something so that the clients started getting the drivers. However, I won't be fully sure that this has worked until I've seen it running properly for a while.

And it still doesn't explain why the YR4 laptops worked when the others didn't.

In the meantime, if anyone can see why this has worked and if I still need to do anything else to prevent it all going wrong again....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Ah! I haven't gone through the checklist for dns/network issues yet, as the above rang a bell. I had already gone into the event viewer on a few of the laptops. One thing I did notice was that the Colour Laser driver was coming up as updating from time to time, but nothing for the Y4 and Y5 Lasers.

So I looked on the HP website to see if there was a driver I could download to try. Downloaded the PCL 6 driver to the server and used the New Driver button on the Advanced tab of properties for Y4Laser to install the driver. Tested mapping on a non working laptop, and now both Y4 and Y5Laser mapped. Brief delay, but they mapped and then showed up in printer settings window. Checked Event log and both the PCL (Y5Laser) and the PCL 6 (Y4Laser) drivers had been updated to the client side.

Checked the new driver would print from applications, and there was an issue with publisher docs. So changed the Y4Laser driver back to PCL using the Advanced tab in printer properties. Checked another laptop. Still mapping fine. Checked application printing and still fine.

Checked a few more laptops at random from Y3, Y5 and Y6, and desktops in Suite. All now fine. Reinstated the logon scripts, tested and no errors.

It looks like it is fixed. To me, it looks as if, for some reason, the drivers weren't being pushed out to the clients for these printers, and the act of installing the new driver triggered something so that the clients started getting the drivers. However, I won't be fully sure that this has worked until I've seen it running properly for a while.

And it still doesn't explain why the YR4 laptops worked when the others didn't.

In the meantime, if anyone can see why this has worked and if I still need to do anything else to prevent it all going wrong again....
    Glad that solved it as for anything else or what happened exactly - not sure on those points, I think when it happened to myself it was either the settings on the sharing side that was pushing out the wrong driver ( out dated ) or WSUS or something that was making it use the wrong driver, as per above quick download of the relevant driver ( we tend to use PCL 5 not 6 as 6 seems to be buggy on the features and other bits ) and ensuring that the client and server driver matched ie pcl 5 on both or pcl 6 on both fixed it.

Obviously the client PCL 5 for the clients and the server pcl 5 for the server - both for the same model of copier / printer or whatever.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread