+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Missing Personal Folder in Technical; Since I've started working at my school there has been a problem that has come up time and time again ...

Thank Post

Missing Personal Folder

Since I've started working at my school there has been a problem that has come up time and time again - it would appear that some computers refuse to load the user's Personal Folder (in our school "P:" - but most commonly "H:"). Instead it displays an empty "student" folder that the pupil can not read/write to.

Even a complete restart of the computer (normally a wireless laptop) won't always solve the problem. So, does anyone know a nice solution to this problem?

Thank Post

Re: Missing Personal Folder

Make sure that any software control policy you have in your GPO doesn't prevent the relevant script file from running.

You can you map these drives manually?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Make sure that any software control policy you have in your GPO doesn't prevent the relevant script file from running.

You can you map these drives manually?
    I would have thought that if there was a software control problem in the GPO it would affect all the computers - but it only affects 4 or 5. But I'll check it out next time I'm in.

Mapping network drives manually is possible - but quite a lot of effort.

The whole system is about to undergo a serious upgrade, which should solve the problem. I guess I was just wondering if there was a way that, when the computer can't find the P: drive, I would be able to trigger it's memory as it were.

Thanks for your help though.

Thank Post

I get this when the laptop drops the wireless connection just at the wrong time. This prevents the logon script from running and sometimes the GPO's from applying. Most of the time the laptop will go to a temp profile too.

If you check the event logs, this may suggest that scripts are not running. I have yet to find a workable fix other than forcing a logoff if the user profile cannot be loaded. BTW, this is on an Ergo Ensis laptop with an Intel 2200BG wireless card.

Craig

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by craiglay
    I get this when the laptop drops the wireless connection just at the wrong time. This prevents the logon script from running and sometimes the GPO's from applying. Most of the time the laptop will go to a temp profile too.

If you check the event logs, this may suggest that scripts are not running. I have yet to find a workable fix other than forcing a logoff if the user profile cannot be loaded. BTW, this is on an Ergo Ensis laptop with an Intel 2200BG wireless card.

Craig
    Well, we have a different type of laptop (Dell D505) but there's nothing to say that it isn't the same problem. Although, I've found that the only solution is to restart the laptop completely - which makes me wonder if it is IP related.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread