+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, !! students have access to active directory, everything !! in Technical; Originally Posted by mounters Hmm, yes becuase if you stop all exes then you'll have a really useful network?!? What ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mounters View Post
    Hmm, yes becuase if you stop all exes then you'll have a really useful network?!? What about basic things like winlogon.exe, explorer.exe, winword.exe calc.exe, paint.exe notepad.exe
    OK. from outside Program files I mean

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    You'd be supprised what you can do with just domain user permissions. Users can, for example, edit certain fields on their own AD user, which is pretty annoying. However, when it comes to MMC stuff, they obviously don't have permissions to modify anything, they can, however, view almost anything, however, one question does present itself: Why do you have the AD management tools installed on the student computers in the first place?

Anyway, regardless of what MMC snapins you deny, they can still use VBScripts or powershell to access data on pretty much anything if they really wanted to.
    also, when i tested with a user account, they were able to modify AD, I changed the displayname of a teacher account..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    all of the above are blcoked, but they still have access to the C: drive (which im trying to have blocked too... red tape...)
    Block it, block it nowwww!

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    also, when i tested with a user account, they were able to modify AD, I changed the displayname of a teacher account..
    Surely this is a permissions error?
    Whats stopping anyone with an openLDAP client and valid domain credentials logging in and doing the same?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Whats stopping anyone with an openLDAP client and valid domain credentials logging in and doing the same?
    Hopefully, software restriction policies to prevent the running and installation of foreign executables and software

Thank Post
    Surely this is a permissions error?
    Unless it's being run as local admin. In a weird way.

But yeah without sounding rude, if they can access, C:\, run any exe, Full admin tools, and edit AD etc. Kind of says there's something majorly wrong with the restrictions in place. (If there are any?)

Might be worth checking all the restrictions to see what's missing, as I know you said you took over recently.

Better iron them out in advance, than catching up

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Check what user groups they are in.... Are you sure they aren't domain admins? (yes i've seen schools like that)....

Personally I would take away every group apart from the default users group and start rebuilding.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Hopefully, software restriction policies to prevent the running and installation of foreign executables and software
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Unless it's being run as local admin. In a weird way.

But yeah without sounding rude, if they can access, C:\, run any exe, Full admin tools, and edit AD etc. Kind of says there's something majorly wrong with the restrictions in place. (If there are any?)

Might be worth checking all the restrictions to see what's missing, as I know you said you took over recently.

Better iron them out in advance, than catching up

Steve
    You seem to be implying that it wouldn't be safe to run user owned equipment (iphones,blackberrys,linuxes etc) in an Active Directory environment incase they run a 3rd pary LDAP tool?
    An openLDAP server (ie a linux Domain server) doesn't suffer from this problem. Is windows insecure? should I ditch AD? or is it a permission error on the AD like I stated ?

Thank Post
    You seem to be implying that it wouldn't be safe to run user owned equipment (iphones,blackberrys,linuxes etc) in an Active Directory environment incase they run a 3rd pary LDAP tool?
    An openLDAP server (ie a linux Domain server) doesn't suffer from this problem. Is windows insecure? should I ditch AD? or is it a permission error on the AD like I stated ?
    Don't know where you read that at all. Not that I mentioned anything at all to do with anything you just said....
    (And if you read my post I didn't quote webman anywhere)

Thank Post
    I'd also be blocking things in a GPO to stop access to things like CMD and Regedit.

Have you checked make sure they are blocked ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Don't know where you read that at all. Not that I mentioned anything at all to do with anything you just said....
    (And if you read my post I didn't quote webman anywhere)
    Sorry I thought the thread was saying that you should lock MMC as it was an unsafe application ?!?
    I don't think the problem here is with MMC, CMD or regedit - they need not be restricted because the permission on AD should be enough to stop users changing names etc on other people accounts!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Steve21 they are running local profiles here with documents and desktop redirected to their server (win7/8r2), how will restricting access to C: effect local profiles?

@CyberNerd makes sense. where would I look about access to AD? The students are only members of a students group, domain users, and a graduating year group. How would I audit if they have anyone has any special permissions? They're obviously not domain admins or anything like that..

Thank Post
    @CyberNerd makes sense. where would I look about access to AD? The students are only members of a students group, domain users, and a graduating year group. How would I audit if they have anyone has any special permissions? They're obviously not domain admins or anything like that..
    I'm guessing security settings in ADSIEdit. I couldn't tell you what to set though....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Actually, when you changed the display name... Was that in a AD users and computers that you brought up on the client machine or was that in something like "search -> Users and computers"?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    was within the mmc with the ad snapin added

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast