+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Adware Winlogin.exe in Technical; Hi I am new to edugeek and would like to know if anyone can help me with an issue. My ...

Thank Post

Adware Winlogin.exe

Hi I am new to edugeek and would like to know if anyone can help me with an issue. My computer is currently suffering from spyware and adware possibly something I downloaded to my computer . I would like to know what would be the best way to get rid of the spyware. I am currently using windows defender, avg and mcafee to delete spyware. It removes the spyware but however I believe it has deleted my winlogin.exe, as it found it to contain a trojan. I have researched this and it says that winlogin.exe is the name used by IRC trojans to try and invade your computer through spyware. What would be the best cause of action from this point, as during the boot process my computer requests a book disk and during startup comes up with an error about winlogin.exe being missing.

VGeek

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Adware Winlogin.exe

I'd suggest you backup your data. Format the machine and reinstall windows either from original disks, OEM restore disks or from an image (if you have one).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

I concur with Geoff

Thank Post

Also... have you read this page:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_winlogin_remove.htm

You may also want to run the tools found here:

- http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html [scroll down to the actual download section - remember to update it after opening it]

- http://www.lavasoft.com / http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...bj=dl&tag=top5

Unlike antivirus programs, Never use one spyware scanner - but be sure to use trustworthy ones. Windows Defender is one, but it misses things that the other two I've mentioned find.

Regards
    Nath.

Thank Post

Geoff I should have said but I am looking for alternatives to reinstalling windows completelyand restoring my files from an external hard drive. That would be the last resort, if nothing can be done to atleast bring my computer to a good condition. Thanks for your tips tarquel I will try this out and get back to you asap. Hopefully it will solve the problems and I will win the battle and the war against spyware, well for my computer anyway .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

From what you say you have two antivirus apps installed which would indicate that your computer is running very slow and give the indication that it has spyware or malware on it.

The two mentioned are McAfee and AVG these in turn will fight over who has control over your files, does your computer seem to take ages to boot up? if so then this would be the primary cause.

I would if you can backup what you need onto disc and then reformat and reinstall your operating system plus any other apps that you use. Taking great care not to install two antivirus apps just install the AVG this i would say is slightly better than McAfee. Then install any spyware, malware apps that you have ok.

Thank Post

@VGeek: In order to ensure that your PC has indeed been "cleaned" of these nasties the only real option you have it to do as Geoff has already mentioned.

You can keep sweeping your PC with anti-spyware and anti-virus programs but there is no gaurantees that they will catch them all and all it takes is one to be missed for the whole process to start again.

You need to also look at the use of your PC could it be allowing private/confidential information to be leaked out, are you in control of this?

If your PC is "just a pc" then you should have no real problem wiping it but if your PC is one of great importance and is used, for example as a development or trusted information holder then you need to decided what you are going to do with it.

In my opinion take a back up and wipe it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

VGeek: apologies for not seeing your reply to Geoffs post have been away from computer and only saw first couple of posts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's quicker and easier to rebuild the machine than to attempt any sort of complicated and involved repair process.

Chances are you'll miss something anyway and it'll just get reinfected again in a week.

Nuke the machine and start again, it's the only way to be sure.

Thank Post

Thanks for all the information. I believe it will be very time consuming to try to remove the adware which can be a repetitive task to say the least. I believe I will buy a external hard drive this evening backup all necessary files and reinstall windows completely and install sophus anti-virus along with windows defenders and restore all the files and hopefully the problem will be solved I will scan the files to ensure the files are not infected. However I believe the majority of the infected files are in drive C and located close to system files.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Make sure you don't backup any infected files, otherwise you'll find yourself back at square one when you restore them

Thank Post

...or before restoring ANYTHING, make sure you get all the A/V & anti-spyware programs in place.

In your case, its the following:

Antivirus:
    -----------

- Sophos [and don't install other A/V software for performance and cancelling each other out and other reasons]

Anti-spyware:
    ----------------

- Windows Defender - resident & removal tool
    - Spybot - Search & Destroy - [partially] resident & removal tool
    - SpywareBlaster - resident tool

Thats all I use, and along with limited accounts and sensible internet use, I dont have a problem with Spyware at home.

Regards
    Nath.

Thank Post

Hi Tarqel

I downloaded windows defender and got sophos from the school I work at I am currently a junior technician there. I am yet to get both spyboy and spywareblaster these will be downloaded when I next use my computer aswell as downloading various updates.
    Thanx for the tips tarqel the key words are sensible internet use. I believe I have been sensible however got very relaxed and downloaded convertion software from the internet and did not scan the software properly. I have learnt and this wont happen again. Not having a computer is like not having your hands you miss them but life goes on. This Post has been sucessfully completed.

aliv25

good to hear your problem was eventually sorted out...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread