+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Share USB Scanner in Technical; Get a Canon Lide, great scanners. So small that students can just move them to whichever machine they're working on. ...

Thank Post
    Get a Canon Lide, great scanners. So small that students can just move them to whichever machine they're working on. Oh and the basic driver is a silent install.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Sounds interesting - how do I do that please?
    Nothing complex - I just set up a standard Windows XP machine (could even use a Windows XP Home machine if you have one spare that you can't figure out anything else to do with) and made sure it auto logged on and auto-started the Canoscan software that came with our scanner. I mapped a drive to a world-readable folder, then just set the Canoscan software to automatically scan and save files to that drive whenever the "scan" button was pressed.

--
    David Hicks

3. 2 Thanks to dhicks:

dgsmith (30th August 2008), leco (22nd August 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Nothing complex - I just set up a standard Windows XP machine (could even use a Windows XP Home machine if you have one spare that you can't figure out anything else to do with) and made sure it auto logged on and auto-started the Canoscan software that came with our scanner. I mapped a drive to a world-readable folder, then just set the Canoscan software to automatically scan and save files to that drive whenever the "scan" button was pressed.

--
    David Hicks
    That's an excellent idea! Don't know why we hadn't thought about that ourselves, and as you mention it is reasonably easy to configure. May give that a try ourself!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    as you mention it is reasonably easy to configure.
    The most difficult bit for people to grasp seems to be how easy it is to use - I keep on having to explain to people that all they have to do is walk over to the scanner, put their bit of paper in and hit "scan", then go and load the file into their document. They seem to expect more complexity! So as to not completely waste an always-on PC I use them as print servers, too.

--
    David Hicks

6. Thanks to dhicks from:

leco (22nd August 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    If you have budget to burn, Epson have networkable scan unit for use with the Epson scanner range. Note phrase in this post is Budget to Burn! Its for the Epson Perfection scanner range (= sexpensive!)
    Hehe we've got two of those... nearly put em on the disposal list a while back as they were old but noticed the network socket at the back now they're doing a great job even with the retro Windows-95 looking software

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    The Epson scanners just seem to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on. The Smart Panel has aged badly on some of them but thats life, can't have everything.

If you want to toss them onto the bin list again i'll happily take them from you and dispose of them on your behalf

Thank Post
    The most difficult bit for people to grasp seems to be how easy it is to use - I keep on having to explain to people that all they have to do is walk over to the scanner, put their bit of paper in and hit "scan", then go and load the file into their document. They seem to expect more complexity! So as to not completely waste an always-on PC I use them as print servers, too.

--
    David Hicks

I have just given this a try yesterday on a spare machine we had (not great spec but it doesn't need to be), and it works flawlessly! Once I had configured the scanner to just save the document and not open mspaint after each scan (think of the memory usage after a while!), then it worked fine and did exactly as you described.

Beats having to log into a special machine to scan when you can have one ready to go!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    I have just given this a try yesterday on a spare machine we had (not great spec but it doesn't need to be), and it works flawlessly!
    Those Canon LiDE scanners have three front buttons that can be configured in CanoScan to do different things. I've stuck little sticky embossed labels on ours and set them up for "scan", "photcopy" (i.e. scan and then print to the printer next to it) and "high-res scan".

--
    David Hicks

11. Thanks to dhicks from:

leco (31st August 2008)

Thank Post
    Those Canon LiDE scanners have three front buttons that can be configured in CanoScan to do different things.
    Yup, that is the same as we have here, a Canon LiDE 20 with 3 front-panel configurable buttons. However, I changed our "scan" option to "save" due to what I thought would be an issue described above.

I don't think i'll implement the "photocopy" option, as it seems it could be prone to abuse and you wouldn't know who printed what off (as we use papercut to log each print made normally). None the less, for your average scanning, I can see this working a treat!

Thank Post
    Those Canon LiDE scanners have three front buttons that can be configured in CanoScan to do different things. I've stuck little sticky embossed labels on ours and set them up for "scan", "photcopy" (i.e. scan and then print to the printer next to it) and "high-res scan".
    --
    David Hicks
    Many thanks for this and previous info, I intend to implement tomorrow when I'm back at work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just installed an Epson GT-2500N which are great network scanners. Very easy to setup. Previous place I worked I put a GT-15000 in place which is the A3 version that sat on the network. The Media Centre that had it thought it was the mutts nutts where previously they had to kick off the person on the machine where the scanner was installed.

But as someone said previously, not cheap but worth it imho.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12