+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, ACL Detective is there an Alternative in Technical; Hiya all, We are running a RM CC4 Network, and recently I have had to use ACL detective only to ...

Thank Post

ACL Detective is there an Alternative

Hiya all,

We are running a RM CC4 Network, and recently I have had to use ACL detective only to find that its not compatible with CC4 and development has stopped on the package.

I`d like to find some sort of replacement for ACL Detective as its a really good piece of software, has anyone come accross anything?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What does it actually do, there may be an alternative but lots of us have never used RM networks and so have no basis from comparison.

Edit: Nevermind looked it up on this forum which seems to be one of the few places google gets to with real information on it.

It appears to be a permissions monitering application that will keep track of read/writes to an application while it is run in order to generate correct ACL settings to allow a user to run the application as a limited user. It records these settings in some kind of ini file that is probably refferenced during the deploy to set up the ACLs at install time.

You can use filemon and regmon to get this same information for file and registry access but it is not automated. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...80(WS.10).aspx You can also deploy ACLs for folders/files via group policy.

There probably is another app that does the same kind of thing automaticly but I am not directly aware of it. I seem to remember an app that a microsoft employee made for testing app compatibility and did look for access errors but I can't remember what it was called.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 20th April 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Thank Post
    sorry, forgot alot of you guys dont use RM. ACL Detective basically looks at programs that dont work because of permissions problems.

To give you a for instance I was working on a program which required access to a registry key to read a password, by default our staff didnt have access to this but by running ACL Detective it scans what calls the program makes and relaxes the security on these areas, not only does it do this but then writes the changes into the package so it can be assigned to workstations with the amedments.

Hope this explains its purpose

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You can use filemon and regmon to get this same information for file and registry access but it is not automated.
    Both of these programs have been superseded by Process Monitor (a.k.a. ProcMon).

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    There probably is another app that does the same kind of thing
    There is. The Standard User Analyzer in Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit and LUA Buglight by Aaron "Non-Admin" Margosis.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread