Poll: How much space for staff for personal space? (only documents)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Home Directory Sizes in Technical; can we add another poll, say 1-2GB 2-3GB 4-5GB , as this would be really interesting, we have an average ...

Thank Post
    can we add another poll, say 1-2GB 2-3GB 4-5GB , as this would be really interesting, we have an average of5GB but some are over 12GB!!! yes over! and staff training to explain why they shouldnt have their xmas photos from 2003 falls on deaf ears!

Thank Post
    Is it just use with A Leve media pupils who have H drives of 20gb+?

The raw and rendered footage kinda gets big when they have done a lot of filming and editing.....some of our pupils are taking media and film studies and have double the footage and rendering so they have drives 35gb+ (some of them, not all).

It's not like you can say "dont render" or "dont get anymore than 500gb of footage"......

It also isnt like you could put it onto a share to reduce the home drive sizes as its their coursework so you can't have other pupils able to do what they want to it......

What would people suggest for the above scenarios? (not necessarily for us, but for the OP or people who may be reading this in a similar position but have difficulties when it comes to space).

Edit;

Just been thinking about this myself and I suppose you could always have a quota for pupils but make exceptions for students on certain courses and have some sort of soft quota for them which alerts you to when they go over and you can monitor it but does allow them to exceed the limit........we do have a piece of software called "File Server Resource Manager" which i think is a MS plugin and that is quite good if people were interested. It monitors H drive sizes / quotas and also allows the blocking of certain file extensions from being saved to selected drives
    Last edited by RTFM; 7th April 2011 at 10:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    File Server Resource Manager is very useful. Though from memory doesn't do some things that NTFS quota fans rely on. At 2003R2 FSRM was best handled form the command line.

Isn't live@edu offering 25GB in the clouds these days? Generally I budget for 10GB per user, and keep an eye on overall consumption. You do have to make sure you have plenty of notice if your school has a tendency to offer new courses or try exciting stuff. 200 kids all using DSLRs without strategic planning can fill up your storage pretty quickly.

Thank Post
    Yeah we are looking at going Live@edu in the future for students. Right now we just do not have the time.

We have over 4,000 users and 11 schools for 2 IT Staff (thats TOTAL IT staff - we do everything from SQL, Exchange, IIS, Printers, Desktops, Wifis, AD, etc). We also do not do any "rendering" in our district or anything like that. The only thing remotely close is some yearbook classes and an audio class that use Sybelius and Pro Tools. They will have access to a NAS for their storage and even then the biggest files they have are like 5MB.

To give 4,000 users 1GB of storage is a lot to manage and back up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2 staff across 11 sites?! No wonder the likes of RM are romping through contract wins in the US.
    LTO4 is 800GB Native. So assuming local storage at each site, and no site with more than 800 users, with centralised MIS and Mail service, backing it up shouldn't be a technical challenge. I'd also hazard a guess that you've already got trained tape changers on each site, so that shouldn't be difficult either.

What do you use for your NAS? Would a centralised SAN be an option? In London inter-site 1Gb/s lines with multiple resiliency and redundancy have just become affordable making this viable consideration.

I am not familiar with the funding arrangements, or the demographics of your schools, however I would suggest that such limited disk space options is likely to be a limiting factor in how ICT is being used in the classroom. Digital Video and Photography are pretty much mainstream activities now, and even cameras in phones chew up gigs of space in no time at all. I'd be interested to see what your customers are actually doing on their sites.. are they living within the system's constraints (primarily central funding of staff such that there are only two people to manage the service for all of them) or are their lots of 'below' the radar works (random NAS's and non managed desktops etc) deployed and managed by the individuals schools?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12