+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Question abour RAID repair? in Technical; I went too one of my primary schools yesterday after being called din becasue of a worry about the server. ...
    Thank Post

Question abour RAID repair?

I went too one of my primary schools yesterday after being called din becasue of a worry about the server. The server is a Dell Power-edge 2900 and is around 6 months old. The display light(that scrolls the words 'Power-Edge 2900@ has turned orange. I check the Openmanage software and it reported a drive error. The server has 273gb SAS drives in Raid1 mirror. One of the drives is reported 'removed' I ran the diagnostics test but they all run OK with no errors.

I phone Dell 'India' Support and they suggested re-seating the drive which i did and it then on boot up reboots the drive as damaged in the BIOS but then boots up ok.

The Dell support said he know wanted to run me through re-setting up the RAID again. Now i bottled it at this, i have no raid experience and with this being a mirrored OS install i did not do it. To be honest i ran out of time but also i was not convinced.

Can someone help me with this,
    Can a RIAD be re-set up while the one RAID 1 disc is still ok
    Should i try other things?

I also found out that yesterday the school had a whole site power cut and the UPS did not do a controlled shut down and the server just shut down

Ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

Re: Question abour RAID repair?

Just get on the blower to India and demand a new Hard Drive say its showing failed, dead etc. Remove from the server, insert new one and it will either have in the BIOS for the RAID card an option to add that drive in to the exisiting "broken" array and re-mirror disk 1 to the new one or if you use Windows to do your RAID it will have to be re-initiated in Disk Manager

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread