+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Force Locked Print in Technical; As part of a green drive at school we are trying to get the printing under control. Currently we deploy ...

Thank Post

Force Locked Print

As part of a green drive at school we are trying to get the printing under control. Currently we deploy printers using Print Manager in Windows and then have Papercut as well on all the machines for all users and I thought that would be enough however... The head has said she wants locked printing forced so that all users can print but have to enter their code in to the printer before there printing will come out. I can see the point but I can't see how to do it and enforce it.
    When I set the print driver it makes it the default but it is still possible to override it by selecting non-locked print.
    Does anyone know of a way of either using a GPO or Papercut to force this? We are using Ricoh photocopiers if that helps?
    Thanks
    Rich

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    There is a version of Papercut which intergrates with the MFD's .

although i think its expensive!

3. Thanks to glennda from:

Tricky_Dicky (25th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    The simple answer is you can't. The same Ricoh system was installed at one of my sites and it requires each user to specify Locked Print and their code themselves. I had this confirmed from a Ricoh engineer.

Thank Post
    Print Manager Pro (the solution we use for print management) allows you to have a browser based release station: Print Manager Plus Web Advantage Suite Option Product Home Page

It may not be EXACTLY what you are after, but it's along the right lines.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the great responses, much appreciated.

The Papercut MF looks like a great piece of tech, just on the phone to our photocopier suppliers now seeing how much it is. However I have spoken to Papercut directly and the pricing didn't seem to bad especially when you think it can integrate all of the printing and photocopying into one account.

Thank Post
    We use Papercut MF here an it locks down all our printers an copiers..

Has greatly reduced paper use, all docs sit in a queue till the user releases them, if the docs sit there for mor than 24 hrs the automatically get canceled..

(Bit difficult to integrate with canon photocopiers, canon no help at all)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think this what your looking for with papercut -> Tour - Print Release Stations - PaperCut

Thank Post
    if you have copiers with integrated applications from papercut the staff can release there own job, or it can be controlled from the above "print release station" by your reprographics technician (If you have one!!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adampat84 View Post
    We use Papercut MF here an it locks down all our printers an copiers..

Has greatly reduced paper use, all docs sit in a queue till the user releases them, if the docs sit there for mor than 24 hrs the automatically get canceled..

(Bit difficult to integrate with canon photocopiers, canon no help at all)
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I think this what your looking for with papercut -> Tour - Print Release Stations - PaperCut
    Yea, that's what we are looking at now. Has anyone got card readers to work with their photocopiers? All of our staff have door entry cards so we thought it would be faster and easier for everyone if they just tap it on a reader and their list comes up.

Thank Post
    Yea, that's what we are looking at now. Has anyone got card readers to work with their photocopiers? All of our staff have door entry cards so we thought it would be faster and easier for everyone if they just tap it on a reader and their list comes up.
    We just use pin codes, we wanted cards but by the time we were allowed the extra finances to purchace the addon pack the delicate little teachers had got used to there codes. (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

Thank Post
    Have just got the go ahead from the head to get the full package of software and card readers, will be ordering in the new financial year.

It is not cheap at all to by the equipment/licencing/installation but with the amount we spend on printing we worked out if we can reduce print costs by just 10% it will pay for itself in 18 months. It's also very handy that our current printer supplier is also a supplier of papercut and so we won't have to work with 2 different companies.

Thanks for the help guys

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread