+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Windows Thread, User Agreement At Logon in Technical; We have a written user agreement that staff sign when they take out laptops. I would like to put in ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    372
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    User Agreement At Logon

    We have a written user agreement that staff sign when they take out laptops.

    I would like to put in place a digital agreement that loads up the first time they logon, which forces them to read and agree to it, signing it and then saving it to a locked folder on the laptop for us to retrieve at a later date. If they do not agree to the agreement i want it to log them off and make it so they cannot use the laptop until they agree and sign it.

    I would look to put this into school too if i could get something working and in place. Does anyone do this and give me some advice or tools on how to get it going?

  2. #2

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    You can put a user agreement at logon, but generally speaking this will annoy users as it appears everytime. To be honest, I think the traditional paper agreement, once signed and filed away makes a lot more sense. There are many software tools such as Policy Central which allow management of your establishment to monitor use of your network.

  3. #3

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,843
    Thank Post
    876
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    444
    How about this?

    EduGeek AUP Informant

  4. #4

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You can put a user agreement at logon, but generally speaking this will annoy users as it appears everytime. To be honest, I think the traditional paper agreement, once signed and filed away makes a lot more sense. There are many software tools such as Policy Central which allow management of your establishment to monitor use of your network.
    On the contrary, I think its an excellent idea as once people sign it and its filed away people forget about it. Having it flash up everytime reminds people of their responsibilities and is far more likely to be followed.

  5. #5

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    On the contrary, I think its an excellent idea as once people sign it and its filed away people forget about it. Having it flash up everytime reminds people of their responsibilities and is far more likely to be followed.
    Yes but users won't read it everytime, and if ever there was an issue it's there in black and white with their name and signature.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,630
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 777 Times in 604 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    On the contrary, I think its an excellent idea as once people sign it and its filed away people forget about it. Having it flash up everytime reminds people of their responsibilities and is far more likely to be followed.
    No it doesn't. They'll simply add a an extra tap of the spacebar / enter key to their "logging in" muscle memory. Don't believe me? How many of your users actually read signs?

  7. #7

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    No it doesn't. They'll simply add a an extra tap of the spacebar / enter key to their "logging in" muscle memory. Don't believe me? How many of your users actually read signs?
    Mmm I think you are wrong. At least they are reminded that *have* an AUP they are supposed to be abiding to.
    Given that we have a time stamped record of when the user accepted the AUP, its far more powerful to say "Ok at 10.36am you accepted the AUP and at 10.45 you were caught breaking it" than "You signed this document X months ago but you haven't seen it since and you did something to break it".

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    372
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    i only want the agreement to flash up the first time they log on, not everytime

  9. #9

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    i only want the agreement to flash up the first time they log on, not everytime
    Ok I think AUP Informant can do that.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    372
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    AUP Informant looks very good but it wouldnt work on our staff laptops, which was the area i wanted to tackle first. Staff laptops are not used in school and not connected to the domain, they are just standalone with users given restricted access. So i'll have to think again.

  11. #11
    Galway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,323
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 300 Times in 209 Posts
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    AUP Informant looks very good but it wouldnt work on our staff laptops, which was the area i wanted to tackle first. Staff laptops are not used in school and not connected to the domain, they are just standalone with users given restricted access. So i'll have to think again.
    Whats wrong with a paper signed AUP for all staff ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd March 2012, 11:45 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25th May 2011, 09:44 AM
  3. User logon debugging
    By CHR1S in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25th January 2011, 04:36 PM
  4. Ipod Touch User Agreement
    By Millsy79 in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th March 2010, 01:15 PM
  5. User cannot logon wirelessly but...
    By Nozza in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd December 2008, 12:49 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •