+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, User Agreement At Logon in Technical; We have a written user agreement that staff sign when they take out laptops. I would like to put in ...

Thank Post

User Agreement At Logon

We have a written user agreement that staff sign when they take out laptops.

I would like to put in place a digital agreement that loads up the first time they logon, which forces them to read and agree to it, signing it and then saving it to a locked folder on the laptop for us to retrieve at a later date. If they do not agree to the agreement i want it to log them off and make it so they cannot use the laptop until they agree and sign it.

I would look to put this into school too if i could get something working and in place. Does anyone do this and give me some advice or tools on how to get it going?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    You can put a user agreement at logon, but generally speaking this will annoy users as it appears everytime. To be honest, I think the traditional paper agreement, once signed and filed away makes a lot more sense. There are many software tools such as Policy Central which allow management of your establishment to monitor use of your network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about this?

EduGeek AUP Informant

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You can put a user agreement at logon, but generally speaking this will annoy users as it appears everytime. To be honest, I think the traditional paper agreement, once signed and filed away makes a lot more sense. There are many software tools such as Policy Central which allow management of your establishment to monitor use of your network.
    On the contrary, I think its an excellent idea as once people sign it and its filed away people forget about it. Having it flash up everytime reminds people of their responsibilities and is far more likely to be followed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    On the contrary, I think its an excellent idea as once people sign it and its filed away people forget about it. Having it flash up everytime reminds people of their responsibilities and is far more likely to be followed.
    Yes but users won't read it everytime, and if ever there was an issue it's there in black and white with their name and signature.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    No it doesn't. They'll simply add a an extra tap of the spacebar / enter key to their "logging in" muscle memory. Don't believe me? How many of your users actually read signs?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    No it doesn't. They'll simply add a an extra tap of the spacebar / enter key to their "logging in" muscle memory. Don't believe me? How many of your users actually read signs?
    Mmm I think you are wrong. At least they are reminded that *have* an AUP they are supposed to be abiding to.
    Given that we have a time stamped record of when the user accepted the AUP, its far more powerful to say "Ok at 10.36am you accepted the AUP and at 10.45 you were caught breaking it" than "You signed this document X months ago but you haven't seen it since and you did something to break it".

Thank Post
    i only want the agreement to flash up the first time they log on, not everytime

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    i only want the agreement to flash up the first time they log on, not everytime
    Ok I think AUP Informant can do that.

Thank Post
    AUP Informant looks very good but it wouldnt work on our staff laptops, which was the area i wanted to tackle first. Staff laptops are not used in school and not connected to the domain, they are just standalone with users given restricted access. So i'll have to think again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    AUP Informant looks very good but it wouldnt work on our staff laptops, which was the area i wanted to tackle first. Staff laptops are not used in school and not connected to the domain, they are just standalone with users given restricted access. So i'll have to think again.
    Whats wrong with a paper signed AUP for all staff ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread