+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Realtek RTL8188ce Problems in Technical; Hello all, I have a Toshiba laptop with a Realtek RTL8188ce wireless adapter, running Windows XP SP3. I've upgraded to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

Realtek RTL8188ce Problems

Hello all,

I have a Toshiba laptop with a Realtek RTL8188ce wireless adapter, running Windows XP SP3. I've upgraded to the latest drivers from Realtek's website (dated February 2011), yet the laptop doesn't get an IP before the user logs on.

Once logged on, by repairing the wireless connection this seems to do the trick. The current workaround is to use Ethernet which works before the user logs on. I'm using Windows's own Wireless Utility, no third party utility is installed.

Other laptops (different models) are working OK, so I know it's not a wireless issue. The network is secured using WPA2 AES and nothing more.

Searching the web, other users appear to have problems with this wireless adapter, with some installing USB wireless adapters.

The Cisco Access Points support b/g/n and the Realtek RTL8188ce also supports b/g/n. I've deliberately set the network to run at G only as most laptops only have G adapters installed. When b/g/n was enabled on the Access Points, the Toshiba laptop kept switching from g/n and vice versa, causing the user to lose connectivity. Forcing the Access Points to only run at G only has solved this switching issue.

Once the wireless connection is repaired each time it works absolutely fine. The connection level is Very Good or Excellent (before it gets an IP, as well as after). I've also checked Power Settings and disabled Windows from switching the device off to save power.

I've also checked DHCP Server is running fine and DNS is in order too. The driver itself is pretty basic with nothing else to tweak. Anything else I can try? TIA.

Thank Post
    I've also tried changing the wireless power from Auto to 100% and Access Points are broadcasting on channels 1, 6 or 11 and not 13 which can create problems.

The wireless icon reads 'Limited or no connectivity' before attempting to repair the connection. I suppose I could configure a static IP, but this is something I wish to avoid. DHCP does work once the connection is repaired. DHCP works first time everytime for Ethernet.

Thank Post
    If you really still cant get it to work, check to see what card your other laptops run on. Unless it's integrated, you could always try swapping out the wireless card in the laptop.

4. Thanks to sven from:

Michael (18th March 2011)

Thank Post
    You're right, I hadn't thought of this. I believe on most newer laptops you can swap out the wireless card, but I must confess I know little about the Mini PCI specification. I presume you can buy any Mini PCI wireless card or are they specific to laptop brands/models?

I need to find out the exact Toshiba laptop model, but I know it has been downgraded from Windows 7 to XP (not by me) so it's still very new.

Thank Post
    Hi

As a test use an external usb wireless and disable internal one.

Sukh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You're right, I hadn't thought of this. I believe on most newer laptops you can swap out the wireless card, but I must confess I know little about the Mini PCI specification. I presume you can buy any Mini PCI wireless card or are they specific to laptop brands/models?

I need to find out the exact Toshiba laptop model, but I know it has been downgraded from Windows 7 to XP (not by me) so it's still very new.
    Best thing you can do is just crack it open and have a look to be honest. It's not something I've ever really had to do myself to be honest.

Thank Post
    have you tried settign local grpup policy to wait for network at startup
    computer config\admin templates\system\logon\always wait for the network atcomputer startup and logon

Thank Post
    I had some Toshiba L300s with dodgy RealTek Wireless cards and swapped them for Intel 4965AGN Mini-PCI cards for about 20 GBP each and that helped alot. (I think that particular model has gone EOL)

10. Thanks to andy_b from:

Michael (18th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    have you tried settign local grpup policy to wait for network at startup
    computer config\admin templates\system\logon\always wait for the network atcomputer startup and logon
    Yep I believe this is already set. I'm 99.9999% sure it's these Realtek's and not the wireless network as everything else connects absolutely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
    I had some Toshiba L300s with dodgy RealTek Wireless cards and swapped them for Intel 4965AGN Mini-PCI cards for about 20 GBP each and that helped alot. (I think that particular model has gone EOL)
    Thanks for this. As far as I can tell these Mini Wireless PCI Cards are compatible with any laptop that supports it, but you get full height and half height cards (just as you would normal PCI cards).
    The Intel 4965AGN Mini-PCI is a full height which is a/b/g and draft n compliant, but is EOL as you say. There are quite a few half height a/b/g/n Intel adapters available, all slightly varying in specification, but it appears adhering to the same standard/connection.

Thank Post
    Just to confirm I've bought some Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200's which are half height cards. The one Toshiba laptop used a half height card and the other a full height. The half height replacement worked straight away once the drivers were installed.

To install a half height card where there used to a be a full height, you need one of these adapters. Without the adapter I was unable to screw the half height card to the motherboard and secondly you get no signal whatsoever.

The Mini PCI-Express standard appears universal, however without removing the laptop keyboard, it's impossible to know whether a full or half height card is currently installed. I hope this helps someone else who's asked to look at this

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread