+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows Security Permissions in Technical; I've just had some teacher ask me about a shared folder on the network that would allow pupils to write ...

Thank Post

Windows Security Permissions

I've just had some teacher ask me about a shared folder on the network that would allow pupils to write to but not read or edit any other documents. The server the share would reside on is 2003 R2 Standard.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure that you must be allowed read permissions on a folder before you can write to it. This wouldn't allow what the teacher wants, and as far as I can see it's impossible to do with Windows permissions.

The folder would be a hand-in-work folder for the staff to look at. I don't quite know WHY they need it as they can look at the pupils home area anyway.

If anyone has any thoughts I appreciate them, or maybe I should just tell the teacher it can't be done easily.

Thanks everyone

Thank Post

Re: Windows Security Permissions

Email? Here we also use Moodle for pupils to upload work if a teacher wants to mark it online.

Thank Post

You are incorrect.

You can assign a user Write permissions to a folder and they weill be able to add document into it by dragging them on, but they will not be able to read anything from the said folder.

So if you have the permissions as Write they can add things but won't be able to open the folder.
    If you add List Folder Contents then they'll be able to open it and put thing in I think but still not be able to open anything else in there.

Thank Post

You learn something every day. I'm off tomorrow but will get someone else to try it.

Good old drag-and-drop. I presume this works for mapped drives as well, just dragging onto the mapped drive instead.

Great Stuff!!!

Thank Post

Should do.

I've just made some folders where a Staff member has Modify and a class of students has Write and List Folder Contents.

This enables students to open the folder and drop their work in but not be able to see other students work.

If they didn't have the List Folder Contents permission they'd still be able to drag their work onto the folder and put it in it, but not open it to see what was in there.

I learnt this on my MS Server 2003 course, when the instructor asked if it was possible all 10 of us said no, but indeed it is

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread