+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, File Servers Slow in Technical; I don't think it's a RAID or disk issue, simply because it's fast on the server itself. I would agree ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I don't think it's a RAID or disk issue, simply because it's fast on the server itself.

I would agree with others - proceed to update drivers on your servers and make sure they're set to Auto with all default settings.

Have you tried resetting your switches? And how old are your switches?

Thank Post
    Is your RAID card's caching scheme set to write-through, write-back or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    We have for the raid 1+0 2 x 73gb disks giving around 68gb for os
    I may be misunderstanding something here, but isn't a RAID 1+0 array two RAID-1 arrays striped together, i.e. a minimum of four drives?

then the raid 5 arrays are 3 146gb.
    How does Windows utilise those two arrays - does it use them each as a separate share, or does it combine them into a single share a dynamic drive, a DFS, or something else?

Thank Post
    I have 3 file servers which seem to be running slowly - although on the console they are super responsive.
    Sorry, just re-read that bit - I originally read that as "RDP access to the machine is working fine", but you actually mean "running disk operations locally on the servers, disk I/O seems fine". As others have discussed, then, it's likly to be a networking issue rather than local hardware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Yeah I've updated all the firmware to the latest versions anyway.

What i thought it could have been is the FSRM although i'm not ruling out the network issues.

I'm going to sit down with my boss later and explain that i need about 10k to replace the core switching which i have wanted to do for ages!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't think it's a RAID or disk issue, simply because it's fast on the server itself.

I would agree with others - proceed to update drivers on your servers and make sure they're set to Auto with all default settings.

Have you tried resetting your switches? And how old are your switches?

I've power-cycled the core about a week ago (its been going on longer then that) - its anything up to about 4 years old but nobody knows 100% as none of us where here when it was purchased.

I'm currently getting prices on replacements anyway as i want to replace it but i don't want to spend 10k if its something with the servers configs

Thank Post
    It's really difficult to say just how big your network is (from your diagram), but on newer HP/Cisco switches they have upto 4 transceiver slots which can be used for Ethernet or Fibre connections.

I would also buy 48 port switches wherever possible as this can save a lot of money and simplify your network. I would also stick to the same brand as this also will simplify your network.

Thank Post
    I've got 48 port switches on the Edge (most are 18 month old hp 2610's few older netgears) there is a couple of 24 port's around but only where there is not a need 48 ports. currently using about 38 fiber connections (2 are for the wireless controllers) but come the summer this will be increased as we have having a whole load of building work done which requires another 6 switches in various parts of the school meaning we will be up to 44 then a few for further expansion after that.

Currently getting pricing from HP on an 5400zl series chassis although we may end up with a managed stack of E4800G's

Thank Post
    I would probably go with a group of E4800G's at the core and then replace any other Netgear switches you have in your network. The HP 2610 is a good switch, so I doubt this is causing any problems.

Thank Post
    Yeah I'm its in the plan to replace the netgears this summer - i'm just waiting on price for the e4800g's then i have to beg to get it added into this years money - rather then next years!

Thank Post
    I've just sat down with my boss to talk about it, he doesn't beleive me and things i need to prove its the switch(es) causing the problem (the fact i've ruled everything else out doesn't count).

Does anybody know of any open-source software which i can use to monitor things on the switch? as the web interface on the switches i have is awful!

Thank Post
    TheDude from Microtik - tis free... allows full SNMP monitoring of all switches...

Thank Post
    Does anybody know of any open-source software which i can use to monitor things on the switch? as the web interface on the switches i have is awful!
    Do your switches support port mirroring? If so, you could mirror, say, the main uplink port from the switch your servers use and monitor all traffic with Wireshark or similar running on a laptop.

Thank Post
    Have you checked that you haven't got multiple IP addresses for the servers in dns? If you've been playing with teaming etc, you may have some duff dns entries.

Thank Post
    I had a friend with a issue just like this. Turned out to be something to do with SMB (Server Message Block) signing. I did a quick search and found the following page:

Windows Explorer and SMB Traffic - Ask the Performance Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Hopefully you sort it soon.

Adam.

Thank Post
    Toby,

I had very similar problems on our two backup servers, with all the hp nic teaming stuff installed, they were much better once I rebuilt using built in 2008 R2 drivers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast