+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Windows Thread, Sophos v5 upgrade problems. in Technical; ZeroHour, welcome to my world, I have been working with Devs since May on V5! They got fed up so ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Re: Sophos v5 upgrade problems.

ZeroHour, welcome to my world, I have been working with Devs since May on V5! They got fed up so the ticket is still open, but I started a new one, and 6 weeks later I have gone from the 1st support level to 3rd, but still waiting for them to get back to me. MY issue with it is, when the server does its auto update from the web, it leave DLLLoader behind when finished, so over time (on my servers case 72hrs) its used all the Ram up and then dying a painful death! We have narrowed it down to an issue with the latest EMlibrary release and ISA server 2004, but we have not changed any policies in either Sophos or ISA since before V5 and at the start V5 worked well (in terms of updating) so its something Sophos have done thats upsettin ISA, but can they work it out, nope! Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank Post

All my sites used to use Sophos. I moved on to Trend Client Server with no issues. this is a better product. The only issue i had was finding a supplier. Which i ended up going through Network Defence. Trend will make there product as competativly priced as Sophos. With non of the issues you seem to have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

John, what are the details of your server? Server 2k? It wont be isa 2004 as we run that here and its fine. Do you have any download blocking software such as GFI(HELL)?

Everton I like trend, the problem is it aint as fast at getting IDE's out the door.

Thank Post

It is Server 2000 with SP4 and all the latest updates. I have not heard anything for weeks from them, I am off to Bett on Wednesday, and I am stopping at any Anti-V companys stands to get info, trials etc... on rival products for our place and some other local schools as Sophos Support Sucks at present. The Puremessage is the dogs danglies, but the desktop / Server anti-V is not good at present. Our way of thinking is keep the puremessage for the mailserver as we like it, and it works very well for us, but the clients and servers (appart from mailserver) will get something else. We are lucky in that we can re-deploy all our IT suites using RIS in a day, so if I was to trial another make, I could come in on a Sunday and re-do the lot and then see what its like.

The last suggestion I had from Sophos was could I upgrade the server to Server 2003 and see if it still does it! I told them no I cannot as I have not got the budget to upgrade to 2003 as we are a 2000 network.

Now that is now un-true as this server is the only 2000 left as the rest went on to 2003 at Crimbo, but as my manager agrees, why should we have to spend money upgrading the OS at our expense when Sophos's documentation says that it is Server 2000 compatable.

Also the servers hardware is not really the best for running 2003 on it (P3 600 MHz, 384MB ram, 40GB Hard Drive) so we would need to put Sophos on a new server, which we don't want to do in case it messes that up like it does this one, so that is another £2000 - £2500 for another HP Proliant DL380 server, and U360 73GB 15K disks for that.

Another option Sophos Support said was can I put it outside of ISA and the schools Firewall and see if that helps! I am fed up, I have installed the Server stuff on my Laptop, My desktop, another server etc... and each time it fails. My point is what have they changed since the original release of EM Library 3 (or what ever number it was in April when Enterprise Solutions were launched) as it worked fine, until one day, we had not changed a thing since the previous september (IE Sept 2004) so they have done something, but they won't admit they are wrong.

As for the rest of the lan etc... We have a leased line, that we firewall ourselves, and filter using Websense , and use ISA 2004 for the Proxy. As Sophos is set to use a domain admin account to work, update etc and the machine has the ISA firewall client, then it goes straight through ISA, as well as straight through Websense as Domain Admins get fully unfiltered and restricted internet accesss 24X7, so its not that in out view at all, and Websense say that Sophos works fine with it as they have others that use it.

Thank Post

Well Ive been giving this another go yesterday and today and have followed all the articles given to me by Sophos support. I have got rid of the slow startup issues but im now getting issues when logging on and it taking along time. I have stopped it from scanning the remote files it connects to for which I had to edit an xml file as theres no option in the console but to no avail. I have confirmed the setting is inplace by logging on as local administrator.
    This local account goes on easily so I know it still the network issue. Anyone else sorted this before I get back onto Sophos?

Thank Post

Got that issue but TBH, cannot be arsed to put it to them as they have still not fixed my other issues. On all my Win 2K machines its so slow to log on, log off, and even shut down, and when you remove all the sophos bits it starts to be "normal" again, but when they go back on, even excluding all the suggested bits and bytes it still is slow. Fine, I need to upgrade them to XP Pro, but as I have said before, if they support 2000 they need to support us, I should not have to spend a couple of £ upgrading my machines to stop faulty software making life hell! If Sophos are willing to pay for the upgrade licences I would be happy, but I cannot see them doing that.

Whilst at BETT on Wednesday, talked to a nice bloke from AVG, and the pricing is highly attractive for 200 machines, very impressed with it and will certainly be back in touch with them again in a few weeks time for trial, and lots more info on the admin side of things

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

The only problem is Sophos has a REALLY fast IDE turn around. Thats why we still with them.
    On XP we have experienced poor performance when set to on-read. CPU usaage spikes to 30-50% on SAVService when running a app thanks to that setting. Its hard to tell what to do. Its a big setting. We have it on-write and rename currently.

Thank Post

It my XP machines that are the problem at the moment I havent put it on any 2000 machines yet. I also set mine to write only to get some decent performance but that is pretty much crippling it !!

Thank Post

We are having similar problems, since deploying V5 the savservice is taking upto and above 40MB of the memory. This is not good as we are experiencing a large slow down on the machine.

Any advice on settings?

Katie Lawe
    Network Manager

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345