+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Strange Restart instead of Shutdown in Technical; Got a strange one, at one school had a teacher complain that when they shut down a certain PC it ...
    Thank Post

Strange Restart instead of Shutdown

Got a strange one, at one school had a teacher complain that when they shut down a certain PC it restarts by itself, now passed this off as them not selecting shutdown and not reading that it actually said Restart but.....in another school and came across the problem of PC's (Laptops in fact which have behaved themselves before) now have a tendancy to default to offer the Restart option rather than Shutdown. Only started happening recently, anyone else had this? Can be solved by just selecting the Shutdown option instead but knowing the kids they wont even read it before clicking OK.

TheLibrarian
    I think Windows is remembering the last used shutdown / restart option.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Got a strange one, at one school had a teacher complain that when they shut down a certain PC it restarts by itself, now passed this off as them not selecting shutdown and not reading that it actually said Restart but.....in another school and came across the problem of PC's (Laptops in fact which have behaved themselves before) now have a tendancy to default to offer the Restart option rather than Shutdown. Only started happening recently, anyone else had this? Can be solved by just selecting the Shutdown option instead but knowing the kids they wont even read it before clicking OK.
    Funny, but I had a report of this happening to one of our Finance Offices PC's.

I put "powersave" by the Univ of Liverpool on it, and had no word back that it's still happening.

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I put "powersave" by the Univ of Liverpool on it, and had no word back that it's still happening.
    Is Powersave free for any establishment to use? If so can you provide a link to it please?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    PowerSave.rar

This should hold everything that you need.

It is completely free to Educational establishments.

6. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Got a strange one, at one school had a teacher complain that when they shut down a certain PC it restarts by itself, now passed this off as them not selecting shutdown and not reading that it actually said Restart
    I have seen machines restart during a shutdown because they blue screen in the process of shutting down. In system properties (right click My Computer) > advanced > startup and recovery in the system failure section untick "automatically restart" then see what happens when you shut the machine down. If the machine is crashing during the shutdown you should now be left with it sitting at a blue screen rather than rebooting. Note: the directions I have given you are from memory as I am running Windows 7 here and assuming you are using XP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread