+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Printer slow to print photos. in Technical; Hi all, I got a problem with our printer I hope someone can help with. We have 3 Kyocera FS-5200DN ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Printer slow to print photos.

Hi all,

I got a problem with our printer I hope someone can help with. We have 3 Kyocera FS-5200DN printers at our school to allow staff to print colour. They are all working good but the problem is they are slow when the staff printer photos or large documents.

One staff member this morning was printing a couple pages of photos and it took about 10 minutes to print! I looked in the queue on the server and the size going to the printer was about 500Mb. That's why it was taking so long. The printers are running the latest firmware, drivers and are connected via gigabit.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this issue? Is there a way to reduce the size of data going to the printer?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Brad.

Thank Post
    Normally driver settings on the print server both printing preferences and printing defaults ( generally under advanced tab ) and there could also be some settings on the printer itself but personally am not familiar with those printers - may be worth while a read of the manual to see what settings are on the printer.

Thank Post
    We had the same with an old Konika, it only had 64mb memory. Got a new one this year and it is fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Is this printing photos directly, or is it printing large documents containing photos, or both?

I would think that the problem is caused by a shortage of memory on the printers concerned.

EDIT

I've just been looking at reviews for this printer and they complain of "slow colour print speeds" so I think you're onto a loser with these huge photograph files. the printers simply aren't up to them.

This poster I made for our school will help with the office documents:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 17th February 2011 at 08:25 AM.

Thank Post
    In your printer properties on the Advanced tab is there a radio button selected that states "Start printing after last page is spooled"? If so, change this setting to "Start printing immediately"

Let me know if this helps

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    To be honest I've had bad experiences using Kyocera printers/photocopiers. The drivers in general are poor and create a whole range of problems, occasionally crashing the spooler completely.

I accept however that you need to try and fix the problem ASAP. The best way is to create a local port and point to a network printer this way, however this is time consuming. You also have no control of printer settings or driver upgrades centrally from your print server.

Longterm however I would recommend you change the equipment. I have good experiences of Ricoh, Canon and Oce.

Thank Post
    we had a similar issue with some Ricoh MFP's. we took out the "Enable advanced printing features" from the advanced options of the printer

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have the same printers here, we generally up the memory in them otherwise issues like this occur. I'd suggest looking into that.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah the printers only have 256mb of memory installed I might look at getting an extra module and trying it out. Does anyone know if I buy a memory module can I install them myself without voiding warranty?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the memory is a user upgradable part in those printers, your warranty will be fine as long as you get an official part.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine are leased so got told no! Grrr...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Is this printing photos directly, or is it printing large documents containing photos, or both?

I would think that the problem is caused by a shortage of memory on the printers concerned.

EDIT

I've just been looking at reviews for this printer and they complain of "slow colour print speeds" so I think you're onto a loser with these huge photograph files. the printers simply aren't up to them.

This poster I made for our school will help with the office documents:
    Thats my thoughts exactly, had the same issue, its a case of training, dont print high resolution images that are only printed on plain paper and are only 3"x4". We now dont have the problem as we changed to a MFD, nice and quick although still annoys me they still insist on taking high res phots and expecting there to be space on he server to store then!...but thats another story.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread