+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Locked Out Of Windows XP Domain Machine in Technical; I've done a really clever thing! To cut a long story short, I over-wrote my main PC's domain account on ...
    Thank Post

Locked Out Of Windows XP Domain Machine

I've done a really clever thing!
    To cut a long story short, I over-wrote my main PC's domain account on my home network. ops:
    Therefore I can't authenticate against the domain, and I disabled the local administrator account!
    As it's a home machine on my test network, there is stuff on the hard drive, like my video collection and some of my experimental projects which I didn't put on the server, which I would rather not lose, so reimaging isn't really an option.
    What I need to do is login to the machine with administrator priveleges and rejoin the domain (to sort it out!).
    Also, the only machine capable of running my CD burner is the machine I'm locked out of, as all the other machines are quite old (the server has a 266MHz CPU, and the machine I'm on at the moment has a 500MHz cpu, both have minimal RAM).

So after my ramble - how can I break back into my PC without a boot CD, or using a floppy, as the machine doesn't have a floppy drive. I could use my memory stick if absolutely necessary to reset the password?

Thank Post

Re: Locked Out Of Windows XP Domain Machine

Does it cache logon credentials? What happens if you disconnect the LAN cable, start it up, then try logging on as a domain admin?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts

attach it as a slave drive to another machine or get another hard drive and make that master and the hard drive in it now the slave on.

that or get a linux live disc or a bart pe disc ( of some variation or description ).

possibly something like this

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...ogon_trick.htm

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

if your local admin account is disabled, but you know the password, just boot XP into safemode and you can get in as the local administrator even if the accounts disabled, you can then enable it and do it all back in normal full cream windows, or often you can re-join the network in safemode

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Is it still connected to the domain? Is the domain administrator account still active? You could log onto another PC or server on the domain, run the computer management console, right click on "Computer Management (Local)" and press Connect to another computer. Enter the name of the PC in question, go to Local Users and Groups and reenable or create an account with local admin privs.

Thank Post

@Norphy: it thinks it is connected to the domain, but as I overwrote it's domain account, it doesn't won't authenticate with the domain.
    @PiqueAboo: I told it to not cache login credentials, so it won't log me in without confirmation from the server.
    @John: I might give that a go. I'll have a look and see.
    @Gecko: Tried mounting it as a slave in my other machine, and the other machine just displayed the BSOD on boot!

I'll try safe mode and see if that gets me anywhere - I'll just have to hunt out a PS/2 keyboard now, as XP won't recognise input from my USB one until it is fully up, even though the BIOS recognises it!

Thank Post

If that fails you could download the NT offline password recovery CD image from this site.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

This will enable the local Administrator account and reset the password at the same time.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrazy04
    @Gecko: Tried mounting it as a slave in my other machine, and the other machine just displayed the BSOD on boot!
    Did you remember to change the jumper settings? Causes all sorts of problems if you have 2 drive saying master

Thank Post

I tried putting the other HD in the good PC (as it is faster), and even on it's own it still BSOD'd.

I've managed to get back in by unlocking the locacl admin account in safe mode.
    I hadn't realised you could do it in XP Pro, I knew it existed in XP Home, but thought MS had locked down XP Pro!

I'm now going to go and hide with shame for making such stupid and simple mistakes!! 8O - My excuse is I was tired!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I'm now going to go and hide with shame for making such stupid and simple mistakes!!
    Best way to learn things and the beauty of having a home / test network to play on.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread