+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, interactive whiteboard software not working schoolwide... in Technical; As of this morning our webster 3.6 interactive whiteboard software isn't working ANYWHERE in school, it's setup to run on ...
    Thank Post

interactive whiteboard software not working schoolwide...

As of this morning our webster 3.6 interactive whiteboard software isn't working ANYWHERE in school, it's setup to run on logon but doesn't, when attempting to run it manually you get this error:

C:\Program Files\Webster\Webster.exe
    A referral was returned from the server.

So far i've tried:
    Turn off sophos AV - no change
    Reinstall software - no change
    Test in other buildings around school - no change
    run as domain administrator - no change
    run as local administrator - no change
    restart pc - no change
    disabled all server based software like uniflow, firewall client etc - no change

It's a bit odd that one bit of software installed on the local machine of these PCs isn't working school wide, nothing was changed on friday that would affect it apart from a change i made to the antivirus policy but i've tried disabling the AV completely and it still doesn't run. I've also tried disabling UAC on one PC to test that and still no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: i have now also tried unplugging the network lead, trying a PC that is freshly imaged and not currently with any GPs applied apart from the default domain policy, im now taking it off the domain and trying it from there. I've also redownloaded the software and run the install again. Still no change.

EDIT2: Reimaged a PC, installed webster from a pen drive albeit network cable still plugged in - same issue - VERY VERY strange as it's always worked before

EDIT3: AH HA it works when logged in as administrator IF i set the shortcut to "run as an administrator" in the compatibility tab. Doesn't work for teachers though >_<

EDIT4: I can run it as a teacher if i set to "run as administrator for all users" but then im prompted for an administrative username and password when trying to load and it doesnt load on startup like it should, interesting thing to note is that "Vendor:" is coming up as unknown.
    Last edited by mrbios; 14th February 2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Is it possible to force a particular application to run with administrative rights without prompting for an administrators username and password? I'd love to know what has happened to have caused this problem though, no windows updates, anti virus, policies could have caused it! so what on earth has?!

EDIT: only two things work, i can either disable UAC altogether, but doesn't this cause problems for other things in a domain environment? or i can make it so that an admin prompt appears requiring an administrative login. I don't understand why this software worked fine for months until now, it's got me 100% stumped.
    Last edited by mrbios; 14th February 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Just had this reported to us this morning from two classrooms in the same Dept. Polyvision TS Lightening boards on Webster 3.6.1. No recent updates/changes to group plolicy so no idea why this has happened. I'm just hoping we don't see it spread accross the school. Has anyone out there got any ideas?

Thank Post
    It's time bombed!!!!!

I've just set the clock back on one pc and it works!

Sunday the 13th of Feb 2011 - unsure what time is when it dies! SON OF A ......
    Last edited by mrbios; 14th February 2011 at 04:29 PM.

Thank Post

Thankyou for the earlier tips.....

On our windows 7 machines I went into the program files and in properties for the webster exe set it to compatibility mode for xpsp3 (only our windows 7 machines with problem) and run as administrator. Does not call for a user and password and has worked on all machines so far.

Thank you for your additions to first post as they led to a solution for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by david_elcho View Post
    On our windows 7 machines I went into the program files and in properties for the webster exe set it to compatibility mode for xpsp3 (only our windows 7 machines with problem) and run as administrator. Does not call for a user and password and has worked on all machines so far.

Thank you for your additions to first post as they led to a solution for us.
    I tired that but it didn't work for me

Thank Post
    New version of webster available:
    http://www.anders-kern.co.uk/content...bster3.6.2.zip

Thank Post
    Not working for us. I got the download link to 3.6.2 this morning, but it reports as incompatible with the version of Windows we are running. Since version 3.6.1 ran fine on 32/64 bit Win 7, I find this to be a bit of a pain. I'm still waiting for a proper solution. Has this version sorted you out mrBios?

Thank Post
    Yep same problem here, managers got a few emails going back and forth. When i try and install it on a 32bit machine a command prompt appears but it doesn't hang around long enough for me to read it, i can't seem to pause it either so i'm not sure what it's saying. Perhaps a corrupt upload from them?

Thank Post
    The command prompt says it's "too big to fit in memory". Clearly a corrupt file.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    The command prompt says it's "too big to fit in memory". Clearly a corrupt file.
    Here's the non-currupt updated version: http://www.anders-kern.co.uk/content...Webster362.zip

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread