+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Local Update Publisher in Technical; Local Update Publisher allows system administrators to publish their own updates to Windows Server Update Services using local publishing. Has ...

Thank Post

Local Update Publisher

Local Update Publisher allows system administrators to publish their own updates to Windows Server Update Services using local publishing.

Has anyone (not SCCM folk obviously) played with this?

Thank Post
    Never bumped into it before... Although i'm not sure if i'm being stupid when i ask... Whats wrong with just using MSI's to publish applications ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Can't believe I've never seen this before, and that I missed this thread last month. This looks EXTREMELY useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhibberd View Post
    Never bumped into it before... Although i'm not sure if i'm being stupid when i ask... Whats wrong with just using MSI's to publish applications ?
    Nothing, if the application has one. I have a number of applications that don't deploy that way, Office 2010 being a major one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    New member pomroy24 has briefly shared his experience of it on another thread where we were discussing a problem deploying large updates on Windows 7 SP1 (the problem happens in SCE too so not the fault of Local Update Publisher): Local Update Publisher in brief

5. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

PiqueABoo (11th March 2011)

Thank Post
    I haven't played yet, but having only just noticed the parent child capability I definitely will.. I'm interested in anything that might fit with 'meta management' i.e. being able to go to one place to get something done on multiple systems (independent domains). But if I did just have one system in mind that was using GPO s/w deployment then I'd still be interested because I'd get reporting for those frequently updated, not always installing happily everywhere, apps like flash et al.

Pity it's written in VB but you can't have everything (I'll inevitably look but as a C-whatever person VB hurts my head). Reading the wiki docs I do like the dev - it all seems reassuringly clear and considered, deserving of some tech equivalent of that plain english campaign Crystal Mark.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread