+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Adobe Update Server Setup Tool in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Adobe Update Server Setup Tool

We bought a site license for CS5 last week. I saw all of the new tools which are supposed to make deployment and management of CS5 easier and for the most part, they do. I saw the Adobe Update Server Setup Tool and thought that this was a good thing™ too as it essentially acts like a WSUS for Adobe products.

However, there is at least one but probably two massive flaws with it:

1) It doesn't update Acrobat. After Flash, I think Acrobat is the most exploited Adobe product out there. This seems to be because Acrobat is installed separatly from the rest of the suite and uses a different installer/update routine.
    2) There doesn't seem to be a way to to schedule syncronisation against the Adobe update servers! To keep it up to date, you have to log onto the server and run the tool by hand.

I hope that I'm wrong on the second point and I'm hoping that there's someone here who knows what I've missed. Are there some command line switches that I've not noticed? Or does anyone know of a program that can run a command line based program and then send keystrokes to it?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the first note, it's called adobe reader now maybe your looking for the wrong thing?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reader is called Reader, Acrobat is still Acrobat. This is the full blown product I'm talking about here, not the free download.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My apologies

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Sorry to be slighty OT, where did you get this magical sounding tool from! I've got 300 PCs that are whinging about Adobe updates when I log onto them as an admin so this would be great

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I got it from the Adobe licensing website, it was one of the downloads that was available for Design Suite along with the provisioning tool and the Application Manager

7. Thanks to Norphy from:

john (14th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eh up - that wasn't there last time I grabbed any of our files. Might have to have a look at that as Adobe updates are pretty much the consistent pain in my ar5e these days. Cheers!

(Acrobat is, of course, the worst for this as well. And then unsupported. Genius)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    We bought a site license for CS5 last week. I saw all of the new tools which are supposed to make deployment and management of CS5 easier and for the most part, they do. I saw the Adobe Update Server Setup Tool and thought that this was a good thing™ too as it essentially acts like a WSUS for Adobe products.

However, there is at least one but probably two massive flaws with it:

1) It doesn't update Acrobat. After Flash, I think Acrobat is the most exploited Adobe product out there. This seems to be because Acrobat is installed separatly from the rest of the suite and uses a different installer/update routine.
    2) There doesn't seem to be a way to to schedule syncronisation against the Adobe update servers! To keep it up to date, you have to log onto the server and run the tool by hand.

I hope that I'm wrong on the second point and I'm hoping that there's someone here who knows what I've missed. Are there some command line switches that I've not noticed? Or does anyone know of a program that can run a command line based program and then send keystrokes to it?

Cheers!
    hello norphy - i just came across your post while researching why my update server isn't working (the clients won't update against it), but wanted to chip in on your 2nd question above, because i've gotten it figured out. here's what i did (i guess i won't know for sure if it in fact will work on windows server 2008 r2 because of UAC stuff, but it sure runs when i run while logged in as myself):

1. create a batch file, call it whatever you want; i called mine 'getadobeupdates.bat'.
    2. make the contents of the file be the following (path(s) edited to suit your specific enviroment, this is just what mine says):

echo.2|c:\AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.exe --root="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\adobeupdates"

[the "echo.2" automatically enters "2" and an "enter" when the menu comes up after running the "AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.exe" program]
    3. run the batch file manually to see if it completes successfully.
    4. once you have it working while running it manually, create a scheduled task that runs this batch file automatically at your specified time.

hope this helps!

wally

10. 3 Thanks to wallstrump:

GreezyE (15th March 2013), Norphy (14th February 2011), timpaxton (4th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Sorry to be slighty OT, where did you get this magical sounding tool from! I've got 300 PCs that are whinging about Adobe updates when I log onto them as an admin so this would be great
    John - it is a free tool, here's where you can read about it: Adobe Update server « Adobe Installation and Licensing

wally

12. Thanks to wallstrump from:

john (14th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Wally, it does! It seems downright stupid that you have to resort to piping a command to the program but at least that works.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Thank you Wally, it does! It seems downright stupid that you have to resort to piping a command to the program but at least that works.

Thanks again
    glad it helped. a quick question for you... what webserver are you using to provide updates? i am using iis 7.5; i see the request from the client come through in the logs, but the client just throws an error "the update server is not responding..." any ideas?

thanks!

wally

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm using IIS7.5 as well but so far I've not got to the stage where the product gets distributed. I'll have a play tomorrow and see what happens.

Off the top of my head though, are you using a proxy server? Presumably the updater gets its internet connection settings through IE and I'm sure you know how bad IE can be at detecting sites on your intranet. It may be worth setting up an exception in your list to the IIS server if there isn't one there already?

Thank Post
    I'm using IIS7.5 as well but so far I've not got to the stage where the product gets distributed. I'll have a play tomorrow and see what happens.

Off the top of my head though, are you using a proxy server? Presumably the updater gets its internet connection settings through IE and I'm sure you know how bad IE can be at detecting sites on your intranet. It may be worth setting up an exception in your list to the IIS server if there isn't one there already?
    how did your testing go? i still can't get mine to work. no proxy server in play here. i am able to successfully load the file that the client updater is trying to access within a browser (i checked the iis logs to see which file it is requesting and was able to use that path to load the file in the browser).

wally

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Didn't get around to testing it today sadly, Blackboard has taken up most of my day today. Will try to spend a little while on it tomorrow!

Thank Post
    i got it working!!! i ended up finding an email address for someone on the adobe updater team in one of the adobe forums and emailed them directly. here's what i got from them, and it worked for me (this is apparently specific to iis 7.5):

1. make sure the services for IIS ASP and ISAPI Extensions are installed.
    2. go into 'handler mappings' and add a script map with the following:

- in the Request path, type: *.xml
    - in the Executable, type: C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\asp.dll
    - give it a name (i called mine xml)
    - for Request Restrictions, i locked mine down to a file, with just the verb GET, and 'script' access.

once you have that in place, the updater should work! good luck : )

wally

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast