+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Alittle help to solve a "BIG" Problem! in Technical; Hey everyone, Long time no message!!! I could do with a little advice. I am trying to find a way ...
    Thank Post

Alittle help to solve a "BIG" Problem!

Hey everyone, Long time no message!!! I could do with a little advice. I am trying to find a way either with group policy or Some sort of registry hack to make sure if a user installs iTunes on thier laptop that the default place for the library is set somewhere other than My Music! We have tried to educate the users but it seems to go in one ear and out of the other. Also have noticed for those who i have manually changed the library destination that when they update iTunes it reverts to My Music???!??!!?!?!? Can anyone suggest anything because our file server is full of iTunes because we sync all of the My Documents folder for obvious reasons. HELP?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Blog Entries
    remove itunes as it cannot be used commercially (which technically a school falls under).

Thank Post
    The laptops are used at home therefore they argue it's for personal use!

Thank Post
    I thought iTunes made a big fuss about iTunes U or something, lectures, documents etc from iTunes for educational use? Effectively using iTunes as a delivery platform? Not sure whether it effects the installation being legal or not though

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    If the school is providing a PC for personal use, then HMRC may choose to argue that it's a taxable benefit.

We cannot install MSE on laptops for home use as they belong to a 'commercial organisation'; the same rules apply.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    remove itunes as it cannot be used commercially (which technically a school falls under).
    Interesting, as iPhones need iTunes to do any transfer stuff, and they're sold to businesses. Apple even have a page discussing itunes use in business... (http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/integration/ see the bit at the bottom).

However, in this situation it is a case of work computers being abused with personal stuff. I think this is more a case of staff training than something that can be fixed by GPO - I've not come across any way of forcing settings on software that is installed off network for example. If you could change it post install via GPO then you'd still end up with the music in My Music and the user would then not be able to access it in itunes at it wouldn't have copied it over to the new location...

Thank Post
    As i thought "localzuk" nice to have someone back up my thoughts will go back to the powers that be and advise again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Actually, I am less concerned by the installation of iTunes than by the possible copyright issues with the music which will presumably be replicated onto the school's server. I know of many schools using iPods, one local one in partnership with Apple.

I have a bigger problem with the "it's for personal use, I can do what I want "attitude, because they can't (do what they want I mean)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Interesting, as iPhones need iTunes to do any transfer stuff, and they're sold to businesses. Apple even have a page discussing itunes use in business... (Apple - iPhone in Business - Integration see the bit at the bottom).
    A school is not a business, however I agree about the GPO policy.

We got a reprimand in our place because iTunes was not for use commercially (FAST came in not long ago, and that was the only thing they pulled up on)

Thank Post
    @nephilim, what would you call an academy based on the setup they have

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    A school is not a business, however I agree about the GPO policy.

We got a reprimand in our place because iTunes was not for use commercially (FAST came in not long ago, and that was the only thing they pulled up on)
    FAST are known to get things wrong. Apple specifically market their products to education - ipods, ipads, iphones all require iTunes. I received a marketting email from them not too long ago advertising iPads for education!

http://www.apple.com/education/ipodtouch-iphone/ - They also mention iTunes on there, for example...
    Last edited by localzuk; 7th February 2011 at 03:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    What sort of things do they use iTunes for? Would Foobar2000 with the iPod Manager plugin suffice?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    What sort of things do they use iTunes for? Would Foobar2000 with the iPod Manager plugin suffice?
    Downloading Apps, if not using 3g or wireless for example. Backing up things on your phone. Its not just about music any more.

Not to mention, for iPod Manager to work with an iPhone, the phone still has to be set up with itunes as per iPod Manager's release notes. And the fact that it needs access to one of the dll files installed by iTunes (iphonecalc.dll), etc...

Thank Post
    Surely they're contravening the terms of use by installing unauthorised software? If you didn't install it you can't support it - thats the view I take. Doesn't solve your immediate problem though... You could just exclude the My Music folder from synchronisation (if thats how its getting onto your server, or redirect My Documents and configure synchronisation seperately if not done already). Or make it read-only to all but Domain Admins - perhaps a bit draconian, but if they want a computer to manage their idevices, let them buy one. The school provides laptops so they can perform essential tasks for the school, surely? Not so they can have their latest downloads ready to listen to in the gym!

Thank Post
    You could always configure them a local logon, which then means their crud isn't sync'd onto the server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast