Windows Thread, Alittle help to solve a "BIG" Problem! in Technical; The way I got around this was to use a script that changes the location of My Music from within ...
7th February 2011, 06:21 PM #16
The way I got around this was to use a script that changes the location of My Music from within the users home folder to a location inside their local profile. That way music, videos, apps, etc.. get stored on the hard drive of the machine they happen to be using and not our server hard drives. It ties them down to one machine for iTunes usage, but it stops home folders from balloning in size.
The steps I take are:
1. Create a profile that has a My Music folder within another folder called Local Data
2. Add the registry modification script to either the Startup folder in the Start Menu or in registry
3. If need be another script can be added that will create a shortcut to this local My Music folder to say the home folder or the desktop, etc.
3. Copy profile to default user
4. Either rinse rather and repeat or create an image with the changes.
5. Verifiy with a domain user that iTunes is looking in the correct folder for it's media files. Click on Edit then Preferences and switch over to the advanced tab and look inside the text box to verify it's pointing in the right direction.
IDG Tech News
7th February 2011, 06:45 PM #17
Surerly iTunes stores the location in the registry, or in a file? If this is the case open up processmonitor and watch where it writes it. Then create a simple script that runs at user logon both locally and on the network.
7th February 2011, 06:57 PM #18
Yep it does store that location, but in an encoded format inside an XML file. I tried it that way, but I ultimately could not and gave up. It was much easier to fool Windows than to fool iTunes.
8th February 2011, 09:49 AM #19
It's possible to redirect "My Music" in the GPO by default it follows the ReDirected "MyDouments" but it doesn't have to. I'd set it to "C:\Itunesmusic"
By Rawns in forum General Chat
Last Post: 10th January 2011, 04:49 PM
By Arcath in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Last Post: 30th October 2009, 07:24 PM
Last Post: 11th September 2009, 10:01 AM
By stephenleak in forum General Chat
Last Post: 18th June 2007, 09:19 AM
Last Post: 28th September 2006, 08:06 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)