+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Event ID 3019 and no display in Technical; I had to rebuild a couple of machines here, but all of them partially failed. They have an internet connection, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries

Event ID 3019 and no display

I had to rebuild a couple of machines here, but all of them partially failed.

They have an internet connection, and some can access the server for user files. All the login details work but it's not on the network and isn't installing any software.

In the event viewer there's a problem with MrxSmb [The redirector failed to determine the connection type. ]

Now the display has gone. Seriously, it's just black.

What the hell is happening?

Network is CC3, computers are RM EcoQuiet 965. [one is an F-series]

X EDIT: Update: I get the ecoquiet screen flash for less than a second. Then darkness reigns forever more.
    Last edited by X-13; 4th February 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Update

Thank Post
    Knowledge Library

Hopefully that link works, I can no longer access the support section as I don't work in a CC3 school anymore.

First link on the page is "What is MrxSmb and what if it reports errors."
    With any luck that will shed some light on the issue, but I can't see what it says.

Otherwise, some ideas for what to try:
    -Reboot build server/main server that CC3 runs on; might be some service has gone splat.
    -Rebuild the same machines; was it a temporary glitch? Do they do the same thing a second time round?
    -When you rebuild the machines, build them into the root of the machine structure, not in the specific location. This means they take all the important CC3 stuff and nothing else that might have interfered; it could be software X is installing before Y and causing incompatibility issues by overwriting something.
    Once they are on the network and logging in happily, THEN move them to the specific location with all the funky software in, and poke the reboot button till it takes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cool, I'll give those a try tomorrow.

I've rebuilt these machines multiple times and it's always at the same point they die.

Some are building to main site, others to a specific location.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Have you created new images for these workstations or are you restoring from the images on a hidden partition (on each PC)?

It sounds to me it may be a resolution issue causing the screen to go black. If the screen itself only supports 1024 x 768 and it's set at 1360 x 768 then you will get a black screen. If you press F8 at startup and choose VGA mode, does the logon screen display correctly?

If yes, re-install the graphics driver and then reboot. Hopefully the computer display should work correctly.

They have an internet connection, and some can access the server for user files. All the login details work but it's not on the network and isn't installing any software.
    It sounds to me the computer is not being joined to the domain correctly. Are you joining the workstation to the domain the normal/standard way or the RM way? If you've joined the network using the normal/standard way, you need to demote it from the domain back to a Workgroup and join the domain the RM way. In theory all applications will then install in turn.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have you created new images for these workstations or are you restoring from the images on a hidden partition (on each PC)?

It sounds to me it may be a resolution issue causing the screen to go black. If the screen itself only supports 1024 x 768 and it's set at 1360 x 768 then you will get a black screen. If you press F8 at startup and choose VGA mode, does the logon screen display correctly?

If yes, re-install the graphics driver and then reboot. Hopefully the computer display should work correctly.

It sounds to me the computer is not being joined to the domain correctly. Are you joining the workstation to the domain the normal/standard way or the RM way? If you've joined the network using the normal/standard way, you need to demote it from the domain back to a Workgroup and join the domain the RM way. In theory all applications will then install in turn.
    Images from hidden partitions. They were on the network in the first place, but I had to rebuild them.

The screen supports 1024 x 768 but the computer is set lower at the moment, because it builds as 800 x 600.

I'm using an RM build disk, so I guess it's building the RM way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    If you boot into Safe Mode can you at least get into Windows OK? And if you can, does Device Manager look OK or are drivers required?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might be worth checking the contents of the RM log files in %Program Files%\Research Machines\Network Management\LogFiles (or similar).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ~Update~

The screen itself seems to be the problem. Stupidly, I didn't test it on another computer. [I swear I did though...]

I restarted the server to see if a service crashed, two already dead computers are going through the rebuild process, but I won't know until tomorrow if it's worked. I'm rebuilding to "%Server%/Main Site" so it should be grand.

Although, we're having work done on the network hardware... So it may be offline at some point. Meaning I'll have to re-retry.

If it turns out that the server just needed restarting, I can see the HT being really angry with the borough techs. It's been logged with them for a month and they haven't even looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Might be worth checking the contents of the RM log files in %Program Files%\Research Machines\Network Management\LogFiles (or similar).
    There's too much in there for me to even know where to begin... A few of the files in there are 0kb. [I'm guessing none of that error?]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ~Update: v2.0~

I was wandering through the server when I noticed 202 items in quarintine. A lot of which were installer files.

Seems a massive virus outbreak caused this problem. Not only did I find all the viruses... But I think removing them should solve a few other problems we've been having.

Not only that, but we've had reports of insanely high traffic on the curriculum network borough wide and I'm thinking 200+ trojans could partially explain it...

All in all, I'm calling this a critical success.

Thanks for the advice guys, biscuits for all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ~Update v3.0~

Still broken.

I've tried everything that had been suggested, but it's still not connecting.

I found the Vista recovery disk that came with our newer machines, that seems to work to a certain degree.

I can log on with my CC3 login details, access my documents and the networked drives... Probably even use the network printers.

But it has no software. I may look into RM Client Connect.

This problem is doing my head in. If I didn't love my long hair, I'd have pulled it all out by now.

~Side Note~

Apologies for the triple post. I'm updating what's going on and bumping for more views/advice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread