+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Classroom Screen & Application Sharing/Controling in Technical; We're using NetSupport School....
    Thank Post

Re: Classroom Screen & Application Sharing/Controling

We're using NetSupport School.

Thank Post

I've only been testing the demos, but Vison from GenevaLogic is almost as good as NetSupport, but much cheaper. In the US they offer a site license for schools under 1000 students for around $4,000.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Blind
    I've only been testing the demos, but Vison from GenevaLogic is almost as good as NetSupport, but much cheaper. In the US they offer a site license for schools under 1000 students for around $4,000.
    Vision from GenevaLogic is a nice product ( formerly called Mastereye ), but just make sure you are comparing like with like. NetSupport School contains all features in the standard application, with Vision you pay an additional charge for Internet Control (Surf-Lock), an additional charge for Application control (App-Control) and even an extra charge for the on-screen annotation tools (Pointer). When you add on all the extras the price difference is not quite so significant.

Just to clarify an earlier comment, a customer can purchase NetSupport School or if they also need to provide IT support as well as Classroom instruction and monitoring, they can purchase NetSupport Manager. NetSupport Manager offers all the tools a system administrator would need for managing computers across a LAN (or WAN) such as remote system inventories, low level management tools, connectivity via the internet as well as remote monitoring. NetSupport School is included in NetSupport Manager for free, as many schools are looking for both types of solutions, and can share their IT and ICT budgets to purchase NetSupport Manager and get the School software included.

Finally, NetSupport School is not the cheapest classroom management solution, we know that, but equally it does offer the most features and is the most scaleable. I would always advocate you try a few solutions managing 25 or more computers rather than a 2 or 3, often products that look great at first glance, grind to halt when you have 30 systems to monitor or provide instruction to. There are a few really good products available and a lot of poor ones, it really depends on what features you need and of course, what your budget is.

I work at NetSupport ( I'm sure you could guess), we always encourage feedback and are equally happy to contribute to these forums.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification on the above.

Al.

Thank Post

Al is right on at least one point – it is good to try out classroom management software on your full lab. I think you’ll find that Vision is the easiest, most effective, and most robust solution for teaching with technology. Vision’s popularity in the UK is rising rapidly, and it is already the leading brand of classroom management software in the United States and much of Europe. Teachers like Vision because it is designed with their needs in mind, and offers innovative features like a floating toolbar, so that you can cleanly and easily share your computer screen with your students without the classroom management software interface getting in your way. And the Surf-Lock controls are really easy to use, but at the same time much more complete and robust than what you get from other companies. In the UK you can get the entire Vision family (Vision, Surf-Lock, App-Control and Pointer) in one package called the Vision School Kit. The Vision School Kit costs £1410.00 to equip 3 ICT Suites with no limits as to the number of PC's in each. Our distributor, Codework, can give you more pricing information or put you in touch with a reseller near you. Contact Kam@codework.com.

To download the software and try it out, go to www.genevalogic.co.uk There is also a great 4-minute video on the site that shows how Vision works in a real classroom.

I’m the Product Marketing Manager for Vision at GenevaLogic, and I’d be happy to chat with any of you, or supply any other information you would like. Thanks for letting me post on your forum,

Chris Streight

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We're currently trying ABTutor across our whole site - we monitor all student PCs at once from out office, and it's working fine (we monitor 200 student PCs and 100 staff machines seperately ...just for security reasons).

We can block sites, block web access completely, allow only 1 app or web site, block applications, launch applications, chat, voice chat, show to screens, display screens, annotate on screen, etc etc. We have several classroom installs as well on teacher desks. They montor classes at the same time as us. Again, no problems.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but for 1/10th of the price you're getting something that does the same job (well the management stuff we can do in different ways - there are many ways we can connect to PCs, and it's not something we need extra software to accomplish - 'tho the ability to log on to a whole suite of PCs as local admin simultaneously and hide the login from the screen is very handy).

The teachers and ourselves find it an invaluable aid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts

I have to say that Genevalogic have always been good at giving Kam good prices on their software to put to me and so far I am very pleased.

I have Vision 6 fully deployed in 2 rooms at the moment and will be doing my other 2 I have it licenced for over easter.

It's very easy now that I got the tech information from Genevalogic to enable me to embed my serial number etc... as a transform allowing me to push out the teacher application msi via gpo.

The clients are easy enough as they stand.

Ben

Thank Post

We use
    http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/P...ment+Software/

works very well and appears fast on the network.

the teachers like the Eyes to the front option and the bradcasting to the whole class.

A bit of configuration is need to configure it for multiple IT rooms so one teacher does not pick up the whole school.

Thank Post

We use Sanako Study 100 (formerly Imperata) and it's pretty rubbish with no changes made to it since we got it.

No sorry there was 1 change, it had a rebrand when the company did.

Thank Post

We are currently testing a piece of software called impero which does all that netop does but has a great feature of monitoring everything a kid does.

Ross

edit: http://www.imperosoftware.com/impero.asp

Thats the addess

Thank Post

The impero feature listing looks impressive. Thanks for mentioning it.

I'll have to play with a demo. It also appears that they are close to releasing a new version.

Thank Post

That AB Tutor Control looks really good and is pretty cheap, going to be putting it on some rooms for the 30 day trial after the easter holidays.

How much is that Impero?

Thank Post

Mentioned our experience with impero in another post. Not typing it out again, I'm lazy

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=7474

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    How much is that Impero?
    Here is a link to their pricing structure:

source: http://www.imperosoftware.com/pricing.jpg

So... if you had 300 machines it would cost: 300*£6 = £1800
    + £200 for the server, and however many consoles you wanted.

Not used Netsupport so i cant comment on their functionality, but for us their costs were far too expensive. We're VERY satisfied with impero so far.

Thank Post

So about 4K. More than twice AB Tutor Control, but about what we paid for the crap that is Sanako.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    So about 4K. More than twice AB Tutor Control, but about what we paid for the crap that is Sanako.
    Depends on the amount of PC's and consoles. We have 5 consoles and that is fine for us (200 clients atm). One in LRC; 1 in server room, and 3 for ICT teachers. Will probably have to buy a few more soon though.

From what i've read on the AB website, impero offers a few more functions, like key word filtering, on any window / document, that warn you if a pupil has typed someting they shouldnt; and being able to block any window or application. If you are serious about getting a system, trial a few. Compare functionality and cost and do whats best for your school. You are the only one who can make the decision really.

Thank Post

I'm not really too bothered about the blocking of keywords in every program, email's filtered.

AB has the ability to block programs.

The main things teachers want to do is view screens, block all websites except a couple, lock computers etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast