+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, error message in Technical; I can view other locations but when i try to view a location it say cannot connect to host ............., ...
    rrr

Thank Post

error message

I can view other locations but when i try to view a location it say cannot connect to host ............., port 5900? Why is this happening?

Thank Post
    Is it a mapped network drive? If so try disconnecting and reconnecting to it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Isnt' that a vnc port, are you trying to remote access something?
    It might be blocked on the receiving end by a local firewall, or a global firewall is blocking that port.
    Need more info..

rrr

Thank Post
    yes this is a vnc port and i am trying to remote access something! I think ur right and its the wirewall, how does i get past my firewall?

Sitting at my pc i can view other locations using vnc. I downloaded vnc on my iphone and am trying to view this location and the error message keeps comming up?
    Last edited by rrr; 1st February 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Thank Post
    If your PC works to vnc to other machines, it's the inaccessible machine that is at fault, or the path to it, be it a router, vlan etc. most likely if there is a local firewall on the destination point, you need it to allow vnc traffic through. I think even the default windows firewall will pop up and ask if you want to allow the external program access.

Other firewalls also have similar issues. A lot of security software, also wont let you click on pop up questions / wizards from a remote interface, so something could have hanged at the other end.

Is it a box on your network? Can you ping it? Browse the folders on it via direct means, command prompt, explorer...?

rrr

Thank Post
    that went right over my head!!! i dont know if this is a box on my network?or if i can ping it? how do i do that?

rrr

Thank Post
    i downloaded pfportchecker and it says it could not ping my router and that my port is not open or reachable!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rrr View Post
    i downloaded pfportchecker and it says it could not ping my router and that my port is not open or reachable!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rrr View Post
    that went right over my head!!! i dont know if this is a box on my network?or if i can ping it? how do i do that?
    Ok. Where are you and what is your business?
    Who gave you these links to other computers?

When i say is the box on your network i mean, is the computer you are trying to access remotely, on the same site as you, e.g. if you just don't want to walk across a large campus or building. If it was and it was all on the same wired network, you could send a 'ping' using the command prompt to see if that machine is working.

If it's elsewhere and you are connecting across the internet, which is more likely, you could still ping, the address of the remote computer. I think however, that the computer is up and running, just not allowing your connection. You may need to get someone local to that machine to physically have a look and check for firewall messages, and or configure the local firewall to allow a connection in from your PC.

I'm assuming that the other machine that you can connect to is also located offsite, otherwise, it could well be that your local firewall is stopping you from getting out to the internet on that port.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread