+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Upgrading Sophos in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael Does anyone have an up-to-date removal script for Sophos v7.x or later? I have an older ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Does anyone have an up-to-date removal script for Sophos v7.x or later? I have an older removal script which isn't working fully. Many thanks.
    Michael....My usual response here! Call the servicedesk, ask and you shall receive! ;-)

Thank Post
    Hi

Once the console is running install it from the console.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I just cant bring myself to start this, but Link2ICT are charging £200 for the pleasure!
    If you follow my guide and you're currently running Sophos EC 3.1 it should work as I describe. I've upgraded multiple schools with success.

Hi. I've attempted an upgrade in my test environment from EMC 3 to 4.5, which failed, and also tried a copy of our live server as suggested by a sophos support person, which also failed. When I told him this, he gave me the impression that this often happens, and advised me to start from scratch, which is what we are going to do.
    There is no direct upgrade from 3.1 to 4.5 which is why it's failing. If you follow my guide I do fully uninstall Sophos EC. You don't actually lose anything as information is stored within the SQL database.

Now, if you start from scratch, you need to fully uninstall and reinstall the product on all workstations, due to the certificates.

I thought I'd do this as a start up script - thinking that it'd be a dead simple job just to uninstall and reinstall the product. No go. Just to start with, the Sophos update service is active on start-up, and in my experience refuses to be stopped, uninstalled, or well, anything really until the update is finished. I think that it might really hack off our users if their PCs were unusable because the pc was sitting there running a script which was waiting for the update service to stop.
    Once you've tweaked and updated the new Sophos update policy in 4.5, simply force this on all your workstations. Over time they'll then update from \\SERVERNAME\SophosUpdate instead of \\SERVERNAME\Interchk or alternatively, highlight a group of workstations, right click and select 'Protect Computers'. This'll do all the uninstalling and re-installing for you. I haven't used any uninstall scripts, just an updated script to speed up the process deploying Sophos 9.5.

Thank Post
    Got to install Sophos on a new server (2008) in a couple of weeks, I'm presuming that as its a new install I should not need to be worried about the previously mentioned issues? Done a few from 3.1 to 4 on 2003 by total uninstall then reinstall and worked fine just wondering if any issues particularily with 2008 install?

Thank Post
    Thank you Michael, after spending two days trying to upgrade I found your instructions and they worked. The only difference I had to make was making sure that no groups were using 'Legacy updating' - it took me ages to find out what the whole "Em library is still being used" message was all about especially since I had already uninstalled it!

Thank Post
    Thank you Michael, after spending two days trying to upgrade I found your instructions and they worked.
    That's no problem at all

Thank Post
    Has anyone come across this; I've finally updated the EC, but when I click "protect computers" the endpoints download packages and install what looks to be EC 9.x but restarts its self and starts again as 7.6.

Any clues?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullaney18 View Post
    Has anyone come across this; I've finally updated the EC, but when I click "protect computers" the endpoints download packages and install what looks to be EC 9.x but restarts its self and starts again as 7.6.

Any clues?
    Yes I have only seen this behaviour with RM CC3. Even with the latest removal script it didn't work, so I ended up re-imaging quite a few machines. I haven't had this problem on any vanilla network...

Thank Post
    Has anyone actually called Sophos for help? I did this last year and there are a few issues to work through, the main one is to do with upgrading to a 64 bit Server OS. I would jump to 2008 R2 at this point in time and bypass 2008 altogether.
    You need to go from 3.5 to 4.0 first then to 4.5, but 4.0 is not supported on 64 bit OS. Here is the odd thing, you can get 3.5 working on a 64 bit OS though....

It is better to start from scratch with this product I have found.

btw...anyone used the Application Control? it seems to work well....

Thank Post
    Yes had that, ended up uninstalling manually, then running the MS MSI clenup utility, it then went on fine. Only odd few machines though, rest seem to have gone OK even theough they were all from the same image.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12