+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Expert in Printers/Queues needed in Technical; I'm having a few issues with printers at the moment and I think I need to reset my thinking. My ...

Thank Post

Expert in Printers/Queues needed

I'm having a few issues with printers at the moment and I think I need to reset my thinking.

My current method of adding a printer to a network is to use the standard Add a Printer wizard and create a standard tcpip port on a server and then say I've got a disc and browse and install the printer using the drivers on the CD that comes with it.

I then share it out and set the normal printing defaults and the advanced printing defaults to what I want (just standard telling it to use A4 paper).

I then use a simple vbs script on each workstation to add the printer to each workstation (my clients don't operate as domain clients - they just use a single pupil (or teacher) user account)
    Code:
    e.g
    ' Example VBScript to map a printer on a server
    ' Guy Thomas February 2004.
    ' ******************************
    Option Explicit
    Dim netPrinter, UNCpath
    UNCpath = "\\server2\juniors2"
    Set netPrinter = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    netPrinter.AddWindowsPrinterConnection UNCpath
    ' WScript.Echo "Your printer is mapped from : " & UNCpath
    WScript.Quit
    ' End of example VBScript
    One of my questions is when a client sends a print job - does it get sent to the server and onto the printer or does it get sent directly to the printer.

Another question is is this the best method to use - should I install the printer using the vbs script or should I be using the printui method
    Code:
    e.g
    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "Juniors2Direct" /f \\server2\icttech\hp8000driveronly\hpoj800z.inf /r "IP_10.86.8.11" /m "HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809 Series" /Z
    which is a lot harder to get setup (needs the tcpip port creating first and I have to work out all the driver info) and ends up with the client talking directly to the printer (AFAIK anyway )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I beleve the vbs method spools via the server, and is the one I use. The print UI version sounds much more complicated, and could have problems setting defaults.

3. Thanks to robk from:

SimpleSi (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    If you've installed the printer on the server shared it and pointed the workstations at the server then the jobs go via the server. If you think about it someone somewhere has to organise the print queues for each printer. If the jobs went directly from the workstations to the printer then there would be nobody to do that job. Ive always used the printui method as it installes the printer for all users on the workstations. You can set the default printer as well ...

The printui line can be quite simple IE Rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\Server\PrintShare

This sets the default printer rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n\\servername\printshare

Theres lots of info out there about this method

5. Thanks to Brpilot99 from:

SimpleSi (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    If you've installed the printer on the server shared it and pointed the workstations at the server then the jobs go via the server.
    Thats what I've always believed but I'm having trouble with a new HP laser and I needed a sanity check
    (And I'd started to think that because the client knows about the printer ip port it might be "sneaky" and just slip the data direct rather than spooling it to the server )

Ive always used the printui method as it installs the printer for all users on the workstations.
    I didn't know that - I only run with one user per workstation

( I don't operate in a domain - I just use the w2k3 server as a file/dns/dhcp/print server)

The printui line can be quite simple IE Rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\Server\PrintShare
    Very grateful for that info - as you say - a lot of info is out there - it can be hard in working out the simple stuff though

Anyway - just as a matter interest - why does the vbs method only install for the current user but the other one installs for all users?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would stick with your first method. If I've understood the syntax of your second printui then you're directly printing to the printer. Benefit of this is that you don't need a print server but downside is that you could hit problems if too many people try and print at the same time (depends on the printer - if it's got enough RAM it can buffer the jobs)

If you use printui to create the port for all users like this: "Rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\Server\PrintShare" then you are connecting to the server BUT every document gets printed as "remote downlevel document" this may not matter but if you use any kind of pull print system it's a nightmare - the user goes to release their job and everything is called "remote downlevel document" instead of "my maths homework" or whatever.

Thank Post
    I would stick with your first method.
    Thats the one I like as well @)
    If I've understood the syntax of your second printui then you're directly printing to the printer. Benefit of this is that you don't need a print server but downside is that you could hit problems if too many people try and print at the same time (depends on the printer - if it's got enough RAM it can buffer the jobs)
    I needed it to install an HP 8000 business inkjet that just wouldn't play nicely as a server printer.
    If you use printui to create the port for all users like this: "Rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\Server\PrintShare" then you are connecting to the server BUT every document gets printed as "remote downlevel document"
    mm- penny drops - thanks for that info

THanks everyone
    I think I've got enough info now to make sure I'll be asking sensible questions when I get back to my problematic HP Laser install

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread