+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Super mandatory profiles & offline users in Technical; I thought I had cracked the solution to users pulling out network cables at logon by deploying super mandatory profiles ...

Thank Post

Super mandatory profiles & offline users

I thought I had cracked the solution to users pulling out network cables at logon by deploying super mandatory profiles to prevent windows logging them onto a local profile.

Then I started getting complaints from students which take their school netbook home with them and cannot log on because the profile cannot be found (obviously).

Any ideas of how I can continue to use super mandatory profiles and cater for students who use desktops at school and netbooks at home?

Or are super mandatory profiles simply incompatible with users who have need to work inside and outside of the domain?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe mandatory local profiles would fit the bill.

Thank Post
    Maybe the answer is a second account for the students that use the netbooks, with a home area shared between the two? Could have a different profile type for these accounts, with them locked to a particular group of PCs in AD using Account Restrictions.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Synack. Mandatory profiles will log my users onto a local profile if the network connection fails. This is why I was using super mandatory, which throws them back to the login screen if their profile cannot be downloaded from the server. I want it so tight that that if they can't load the network mandatory profile then they can't use the computer at all. This all works great as far as the desktop computers are concerned. The netbooks are the show stopper for super mandatory profiles as they can't be used from home.

I would like to hear from anybody who is using super mandatory profiles on their network and how they deal with the issue of student laptops and netbooks being used outside of the network.

Thanks 3s-gtech. I will consider that approach. Our netbook deployment policy is quite haphazard. We have a large pool of netbooks being loaned out on an ad-hoc basis. The problem being that we never know who will be issued a netbook and for how long (deployment has been delegated to a member of staff outside of the IT Support dept)
    Last edited by superdubious; 19th January 2011 at 09:55 AM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the answer simply to lock the network sockets in place or use wireless?

Thank Post
    That is definately part of the solution. We have started clipping the release clip on the ethernet cables to prevent the pupils from unplugging them. We have some quite aggressive pupils who will rip the cable out by force, but I think for the most part it will be worthwhile. We have wireless but the reception is crap and the signal keeps dropping out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread