+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Copyright / Software Restriction Policy in Technical; Hello All, My question is not entirely technical it is more of a network policy query. I would like to ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Copyright / Software Restriction Policy

Hello All,

My question is not entirely technical it is more of a network policy query. I would like to know how others deal with copyright responsibilities and how you lock staff internet access down.

Staff users currently have unrestricted access to the internet (other than general filters). They are informed that they should ask before downloading media but as expected they never do. I have since found a raft of media content (possibly illegal) on the network. This is deleted as and when we find it.

I aware that in some schools network administrators will turn the blind eye, something I am reluctant to do.

Question 1: What restrictions if any do you use?

Question 2: As network admin are you responsible for Copyright infringement within your school?

Thanks for reading.

Thank Post
    First question is - Have you got an AUP in place that points out that illegal downloads are unacceptable and could lead to disciplinary action by the school, LEA or police?

Thank Post
    Yes this is in place.

Thank Post
    Then you should not have to worry about restricting access. Gather your evidence and present it to SMT with a reminder of the contents of the AUP and (if it's illegal material) a note to say that you will refrain from reporting it to the police until they have had a chance to investigate the matter. You could do what I did and just tell SMT (after the first 3 violations) that you have contacted the police who will be arranging an appointment to see the HT - That worked a treat

However, if restriction is the way you want to go then disable the ability to install software which cuts out some misuse.

You could go the whole way and install a filter but you will be adding sites on a daily basis unless you use a white list, which is still going to give you headaches.

We restrict staff installing anything onto the network and use the AUP as a lever for anything else but you MUST have SMT support.

If you don't have that support then you must document everything eg files found, where, time, date, who it was reported to and any actions taken etc etc. Then if it comes back and they look for a scape goat you will be covered.

Thank Post
    Oh - forgot to mention - if you do find illegal content then lock the user account and report it. Don't touch it again until authorised to do so by whoever is investigating.

6. Thanks to alan-d from:

LpGs2011 (13th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for your input. Until now I have just been removing the data and letting the user know why. I think that togeather with SMT we will create a procedure.

Thank Post
    Without SMT support there is nothing you can do to stop them doing this. If you lock their account without support you will just be told to unlock it as the teacher needs it for their lesson. Alternatively those with locked accounts will start to use other peoples and see you as being obstructive. You need a policy in place and the support of your SMT to be able to carry out any procedures outlined in it.

Generally I think that there is either a lack of understanding or care as they tend to think a school is exempt from the law by saying it is for educational use. Other than that ensure you follow Alan-d advice and get your AUP to ensure the user is repsonsible for their own area and any illegal content can result in a disciplinary.

Thank Post
    I agree staff seem to respond with either "I didnt know that" or "were a school and its allowed". We will be looking into the situation with care as not to hinder learning and teaching but still adhere with the law (sometimes a hard balance).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    We have a policy of if its copyrighted and breaking it then we delete - I have since installed dansguardian on our squid proxy so we can block file types from downloads

Thank Post
    We also have a page on the Intranet to reinforce the point. Have a look here - it has some useful links for more info

12. Thanks to alan-d from:

LpGs2011 (13th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread