+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Installing XP on wiped machine in Technical; Ooooh my fave.... MS licensing Shame i need to go to sleep. The short of it is: Technically u cant ...
    Thank Post

Re: Installing XP on wiped machine

Ooooh my fave.... MS licensing

Shame i need to go to sleep.

The short of it is:

Technically u cant use the VLM unless u have VLK licenses for those machines SimpleSi - notice I do say "technically". I had a nice chat to MS about a while back, and they say that even tho they are both XP Pro [OEM & Volume], they are both different licenses etc etc.

Yes, thats the short of it lol

Haven't read all the posts as bed is calling, but like John says, HP OEM disks arent "standard" OEM disks generally, and I imagine that goes for all Royalty OEM [i.e. HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc etc] media - even if it looks like a normal, standard XP OEM CD.

You can quite legally obtain a media copy of a un-modified standard OEM CD - as of course, you have the license for it [but you cannot public distribute via the web though i.e. publicly viewable link on a forum]. You cannot obtain/use and/or distribute a modified XP media CD in any way [unless you are a royalty OEM].

Phew - think thats about right for now...

Good night folks

Nath.

Thank Post

Just out of curiosity, how did you go about doing this in the end?

I have my 1st tech machines now, but of course am now going through the same dilemma. Spoke to 1st tech briefly about it and I think they are going to see if they have any CDs that came with the PCs, but I was ideally hoping to get an image for these computers pretty soonish.

Just tried an OEM CD I had lying around from somewhere, but of course it failed to activate, just like I thought it would.

I THINK I have a VLM CD at home somewhere... even if I'm not allowed to use that, I don't think microsoft would be offended if I did as we have XP Pro licenses for each computer.

Thank Post

Okay, lets say for instance, I phoned M$ and got this machine activated (they are usually pretty good at doing it without too much explanation). Then I ghosted it and made an image. Would the image then work on all the others? Not had too much experience with XP activation in batch before.

Thank Post

Are you not using the corporate edition of windows xp pro which doesnt require activation?

Thank Post

I do actually have a XP corp CD somewhere, just not on me now and I was hoping to get this image half done by the end of today. I just don't want to make the image, sysprep it and put it onto the other computers only to realise that it doesn't work due to activation.

Thank Post

ahh OK, well if you image all of the machines you will have to activate them all individually, even if you activate the machine before creating the master image.

Thank Post

You sure? I take it the activation relates to the SSIDs or something then? I cannot see how else each computer with the image installed on it would actually know it wasn't the original machine. :s

Thank Post

Its dependant on the serial numbers of the hardware inside the machine. it will allow you to change a minor component such as a hard drive, but if you change the motherboard you have to reactivate the machine. hence why you will need to reactivate each imaged machine.

Its a bit of a pain in the arse tbh.

Thank Post

@James
    I don't think it needed activating - I can't remember it doing so - I just used a Dell Laptop CD and they were Dell desktops 8O

@andy
    I've never ever had to re-activate a cloned machine. I've had DELLS, HPs, VIGLENS, ACERS and Fujitsu-Siemens and every time I've cloned the same manufacturers machine - they've never needed activation

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    @andy
    I've never ever had to re-activate a cloned machine. I've had DELLS, HPs, VIGLENS, ACERS and Fujitsu-Siemens and every time I've cloned the same manufacturers machine - they've never needed activation

regards

Simon
    This is interesting how it appears to work for some people, but not for others :?. I'm tempted not to try it and e-mail MS for their advice instead, but I'm scared of their waiting times. Last time I e-mailed MS it took over a month to reply. Phoning them is not an option because I want to include all the license keys I have in the e-mail.

I guess I could just sysprep and ghost a clean windows install as a test.

on a similiar note
    our new HP pcs all moan about it being a non genuine copy of xp if the network cable is unplugged ,
    does that mean they are constantly talking to MS

Thank Post

1: You can't use VLK media unless you are a Microsoft volume licensing customer BUT you can use VLK media on OEM licensed boxes, providing you are a volume license customer. I.E. You don't have to re-buy a volume license for an OEM licensed box to use the volume media, providing you have volume licenses for other (presumabely none OEM /retail licensed boxes).

2: The Dell (and most other OEM) recovery / Windows install CDs use what's called OEM pre-activation. The Dell XP CD will check for a flag in the machines BIOS and if it finds it, won't ask for activation. Same applies for the XP disks of other OEMs who take part in pre-activation. If you use the Dell CD in a none-Dell PC, it wont find the flag it's looking for aks will ask for activation.

3: You can't activate using the OEM COA sticker numbers over the internet. Microsoft switched that off some time ago. You CAN activate the sticker number via a phone activation, just not online. Apparently too many people were stealing COA sticker numbers and using them on other machines or something (the COA numbers were never getting used for most OEM boxes, as they are all pre-activated either using pre-activation or as part of the factory install).

Hope that helps.

Thank Post

The Dell XP CD will check for a flag in the machines BIOS and if it finds it, won't ask for activation.
    Ah - all is explained

Thanks for the info

regards

Simon

Thank Post

No worries. If you want to image OEM pre-activated machines under an OEM license or want to know more; this page might be useful to you.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GeeDee
    1: You can't use VLK media unless you are a Microsoft volume licensing customer BUT you can use VLK media on OEM licensed boxes, providing you are a volume license customer. I.E. You don't have to re-buy a volume license for an OEM licensed box to use the volume media, providing you have volume licenses for other (presumabely none OEM /retail licensed boxes).
    Please correct me if I'm wrong on the point I'm about to make.

As I understand it if these machines were for use on the premises that poseses the volume license, then they would have to be added onto the agreement at the next renewal, as volume licensing dictates a licence must be purchased on the volume license agreement for EVERY machine in use on the premises, regardless of whether it has an OEM or other license for it already.

I believe I'm right on that point, please please correct me if I'm wrong as I could save my school a shed load of cash, as at the moment most of our desktops have an OEM license, but we are paying for a volume license covering all our machines.

Cheers,

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast