+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Print quota software in Technical; +1 for papercut, we have the paid version too and it's brilliant. Just be ready for a staff backlash when ...

Thank Post
    +1 for papercut, we have the paid version too and it's brilliant.

Just be ready for a staff backlash when you first install it but do know they'll get used to it quite quickly

I am sure some staff's moto is "CHANGE IS NOT GOOD!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maestromasada View Post
    Is PaperCut compatible with RM CC3/4? At present we are on the trial with pcounter, but the win9x interface and the general use of the program is not that user friendly to my believe
    Not sure, may be worth contacting Papercut support (who are fantastic btw) NOTE: They are in Australia/USA so there may be some delays in replies, but they do have a massive range of customers so odds are someone somewhere will be using it on a CC3/4 network

I just had a quick look around the Paper cut website (Software for print quota and print control management. Your print accounting and monitoring solution. - PaperCut) and it mentions nothing about RM networks.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, we are a vanilla network, and have only been using papercut for a short time but, just for the in depth reporting and monitoring that is available it has been invaluable (and also interesting to see the amount of personal printing that goes on)

3. Thanks to sister_annex from:

maestromasada (15th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Sorry to thread-hijack, but seems like a sensible place to put this...

Has anyone got any info on PaperCut vs PCounter? Anyone had experience of both? Which one seems best? PaperCut certainly seems to have more features listed on their site, but does anyone have any hands-on experience?

Thank Post
    I tried pcounter first on a recommendation, but couldn't get it to work on 2008 servers, proved it worked on 2003, but wasn't very easy. papercut looks great and was easy to set up and use for the trial, only problem was that at an 800 pupil school it found 2000 user accounts which inflates the license cost.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by misternormal View Post
    I tried pcounter first on a recommendation, but couldn't get it to work on 2008 servers, proved it worked on 2003, but wasn't very easy. papercut looks great and was easy to set up and use for the trial, only problem was that at an 800 pupil school it found 2000 user accounts which inflates the license cost.
    There is a fix for this, when importing your groups from AD, if you create a group called papercut users and add all the users who will be using it to this group) you can select a particular group to import and subsequently recheck that particular group when it does it's automated imports of a night.

PaperCut KB | Importing a subset of domain users
    PaperCut KB | Ignoring disabled Active Directory users
    PaperCut KB | Exceeding the license limit

These may help - they did for our use (we have ~3000 AD Accounts (including test accounts, service accounts and guest accounts) but out license for expansion is for 2500)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by misternormal View Post
    You can manually go through and remove the excess account, so you'd only need a 1000 user license for instance . It's probably a load of excess student accounts and/or service accounts that papercut has found in AD. We get papercut to only sync specific OUs within AD because of that

Thank Post
    We, like many orther schools, have gone for PCounter. There is a free trial you can download and loads of add-in extras.
    As soon as we impelmented PCounter our printing costs, paper useage and toner purchasing went down substantually.
    Now I can spot abusers and control costs. Only had it for 6 months but I would highly recommend it.
    Now we are all ready for sending quartely printing invoices to each dept from April when new budgets start.
    Happy days.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12