+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Exchange 2007 - Need help with certificates for autodiscover in Technical; I have had this issue for a while now with regards to exchange 2007 and outlook 2007/2010 and i need ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2007 - Need help with certificates for autodiscover

I have had this issue for a while now with regards to exchange 2007 and outlook 2007/2010 and i need some help.

Every time i start outlook i keep getting 2 warnings..

Autodiscover.domain.co.uk

Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there is a problem with the site's security certificate.

"Red Cross" The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosen to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority.

"Green Tick" The security certificate date is valid

"Red Cross" The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site.

Then i get this one:

"nameofServer.shs.com"

Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there is a problem with the site's security certificate.

"Red Cross" The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosen to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority.

"Green Tick" The security certificate date is valid

"Green Tick" The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site.

Can anyone help me sort this on going problem out please. It has been driving me nuts for the last god knows how many years.

Thanks
    Last edited by timbo343; 7th January 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Thank Post
    OK i have managed to get a green tick on autodiscover: The security certificate has a valid name but still got a red cross on The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosen to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority.

Thank Post
    Where did the certificate come from? How did you make it (or get it)?

Answer to those questions will save time talking about the wrong aspects here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Answer who its issued by, and then that should help, or install the certificate as part of the domain and then it will be automatically trusted on all domained PCs and jobs a good-un

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Where did the certificate come from? How did you make it (or get it)?

Answer to those questions will save time talking about the wrong aspects here.
    The certificate was set up by me on the exchange server using new-exchangecertificate in powershell giving it services such as SMTP, POP, IMAP and IIS.

@john: install the certificate part of the domain, just remind me how to do that... im starting to lose my mind and not in a good way.. Does it need to go into my certificate store on the exchange server? AMm blooming useless when it comes to certificates
    Last edited by timbo343; 8th January 2011 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    You need to add the issuing server as a trusted certificate authority. I think this is what you need.

7. Thanks to ChrisH from:

timbo343 (8th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Chris. I shall see how that goes.

At the mo, exchange is only accessable internally, so at the mo not using ssl on OWA. With adding this certificate into trusted certificate authority in Group Policy, should i be able to use SSL on owa? If not, how do i go about it?

Thank Post
    Eeer I'll remote to my DC and write down where you stick the certificates as I cannot remember off the top of my head, its done via GPO though so really simple. I have my Smoothwall HTTPS interception one there and its been great

10. Thanks to john from:

timbo343 (8th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Eeer I'll remote to my DC and write down where you stick the certificates as I cannot remember off the top of my head, its done via GPO though so really simple. I have my Smoothwall HTTPS interception one there and its been great
    Thanks mate

Thank Post
    Export the certificate as normal, and then import it to the following location:

Default Domain Policy (or a fairly high up one of your choice) > Computer Config > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Public Key Policies > Trusted Root CAs on that screen, right click the panel and import, follow the wizard (normal standard MS style wizard as you get when import a SSL Certificate on a workstation). That then goes to all the machines that GPO covers and then it will check against that and go oh yeh I like it

Always worked well for me that way, fingers crossed it does for you as well. Autodiscover is great i've not configured anyones outlook manually since we moved to Exchange.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the location. I have put it in there. Does that mean i can use the OWA as SSL internally or not?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Thanks for the location. I have put it in there. Does that mean i can use the OWA as SSL internally or not?
    Should do if it was certificate errors that were letting you down before.

Thank Post
    Assuming you have assigned that certificate to OWA in the ECP.

Thank Post
    ::sob:: Beaten to it, just a few minor points worth adding..

"Self-signed" certificates are root certificates which is why it goes in the root store... if you let the certificate import dialog (part of CAPI the crypo API) choose where to put it, it never seems to get it right, but that may be smarter in Win7 (I haven't tried).

You said you'd flagged the cert for use in IIS, so it definitely should just work for OWA once you've got the cert distributed.

Do you use POP3 & IMAP? I always turn those off and just stick to OWA and full Outlook. At the very least try and get rid of POP3 before someone decides to use it then downloads (& deletes from server) their mail.. and by-and-by loses/trashes it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    ::sob:: Beaten to it, just a few minor points worth adding..

"Self-signed" certificates are root certificates which is why it goes in the root store... if you let the certificate import dialog (part of CAPI the crypo API) choose where to put it, it never seems to get it right, but that may be smarter in Win7 (I haven't tried).

You said you'd flagged the cert for use in IIS, so it definitely should just work for OWA once you've got the cert distributed.

Do you use POP3 & IMAP? I always turn those off and just stick to OWA and full Outlook. At the very least try and get rid of POP3 before someone decides to use it then downloads (& deletes from server) their mail.. and by-and-by loses/trashes it.
    Nah, i dont use POP3 or IMAP. Like you said, sometimes, it can do more damage than what it is worth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast