+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Help me get rid of some spyware please!! in Technical; I've got a nasty little app on my computer (came from downloading some "legit" add-ons for flight simulator (for the ...
    Thank Post

Help me get rid of some spyware please!!

I've got a nasty little app on my computer (came from downloading some "legit" add-ons for flight simulator (for the father-in=law honest!!))

Task Manager calls it "conceptual desktop" and the task is called gui.exe.

Non of the usual suspects gets rid of it (adAware, Spybot Killer, Panda et al)

If you're in google and you type in "mr & mrs smith" for example, google freezes, and this pop-up (well, more of a slide up really" try to sell you loads of Mr & Mrs Smith goods!

I'm not looking for a list of spyware apps that I havn't used; what I'm after is someone who's seen it and knows about it.

Yes I know I could just delete the gui.exe, but where is the fun in that? I want to nuke it once and for all!!

Thank Post

Re: Help me get rid of some spyware please!!

Search for the app in the registry (will probably be in the 'Run' section of the Windows stuff). If it's particularly nasty it may be loading with the shell - I had one of these once and it was a proper pain to get rid of.

Also check out the Startup Control Panel at http://edugeek.net/index.php?name=Do...op=getit&lid=2

Thank Post

Try these:

- hijackthis - http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
    [http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html]

Take care with that tho - dont remove anything you dont know is bad or you'll screw up IE [or more]

- CWShredder - http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/produc...cwshredder.exe
    [http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract...download.html]

Probably wont help but you never know.

- Spybot - Search & Destroy - http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
    [http://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html]

I dunno if you mean this was spybot killer [but remember some spyware removal programs actually contain spyware and "pretend" to remove stuff so be careful]

Also:
    Use a program like Autoruns [http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html] to see whats loading on the startup too - it might be something in that.

See how that goes and we'll carry on from there

I kick spyware in the rear most weekends for the past few years and there aint one that's beaten me yet

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post

It's funny but all the regular spyware apps (and by regular, I mean free) don't pick it up, but the ones that do a scan, then say $34 to remove it, picks it up (along with 122 others, that the freebies don't)

I got rid of the offending one in the end manually, but I'd prefer a remover that picked it up, as who knows what else could be lurking!!!

BTW what a pain it was too. Still alls quiet, but I know there are still 121 of these beasties on my system!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Tarq is the spyware grand negus. He should have a clinic of his own on here I recon.

Thank Post

It's my opinion, thats there is more than 1 type of spyware. By that, I mean, there is some that slap you in the face evertime you're on t'internet, and then there is the hiding, doing nothing that you can see or feel stuff.

Everything Tarquel has suggested I'd done (and more). But I know that there is stuff lurking that I haven't removed.

Everything seems fine, but I know it aint!

Are you sure you've kicked spyware butt Tarquel, because you just never know!!!!!!!! 8O

Thank Post

registry mechanic ?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3306.html

and also crap cleaner :

www.ccleaner.com

Thank Post

Stewart - it was only a quick post...

One time (wont say on who's laptop and no, it wasn't mine lol) I spent about 4 hrs removing spyware from a computer - I had to run the tools mentioned, along with some other ones like MS ASW, and lots of registry editing in every attempt.

Needless to say it was for free 'n' all [outside of work but close to home if you get my meaning lol].

I must have dealt with around 300 or more PC's in the past few years with some sort of spyware or another and they were all pretty 100% clean after - but i agree, there's no !00% definately way to know theres none left.

Any good man [or woman] worth their salt will tell you that presently, you *have* to use multiple known spyware removal tools, autorun/startup detection tools and various manual processes like registry editing and precise deletion of files, etc.. to be able to combat an infected machine, and to definately use multiple anti-spyware programs on your machines at all times.

@gecko - they are registry/system repairing and cleaning tools - they dont touch spyware [that I know of] but the latter is a good one for clearing the crap [no pun intended]. I do tend to use Norton Systemworks's WinDoctor [found on Norton Utiilities too i think] which is great for system repair and cleaning up - but thats another topic.

From what you said in your first post stewart, it would seem that either there is a background process running that is watching what you are doing, and/or, a BHO (Browser Hijacker) thats plugged in to IE and monitoring what you are typing and giving you results in a popup form.

Check for hidden toolbars too in IE.

...you should be able to identify what it is with hijackthis - you could always post a log of it here if ya like.

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post

@ tarquel - no no no and definatly NO at the posting logs here, you go to www.hijackthis.de

you can either copy and paste the log into the space provided on that page or save the log file to your desktop or some where you can find easily and upload the log file by clicking on the browse button on that page and analyse the log file and it will show you what to remove, obviously removing any things that come up as nasty.

As for those 2 suggestions I just wanted to add them to the list of things as I dont think they were mentioned.

MS's beta anti spyware is pretty good and I know a bunch of other good ones but generally when I get infections and I want to be sure of it getting removed ( and considering I have partitions set up so that my data is on my other partitions and not my system partition ie my C drive ) I just do a clean install and hence I have never really had many issues with trying to get rid of them by using any tools or registry edits etc. Just a case of a re format and re install

Thank Post

A very good one for spyware is spy sweeper in my opinion :

www.webroot.com and also if you go to www.downloads.com you can get the download from there as well

Thank Post

I keep all my other films (ahem, I mean data) on 2 seperate drives. It's just the hassle of re-installing all the software I use!

Thank Post

Just out of curiousty tarquel, what version of hijackthis is in that download ?

I only ask because 1.99 ( as far as I am aware is the latest version which obviously has updates / modifications which have obviously been made to it

Thank Post

Just found this piece of software, and I'm well inpressed. It found more baddies on my computer than the pay to use ones, and 172 the adaware et al couldn't!

www.ewido.net

I be interested to see what it found on your system Tarquel!

Thank Post

Thank Post

One of the biggest problems I have with downloading mutliple anti-spyware platforms onto XPee is that it slows your system down. One of the reasons I switched to Macs at home was that I got fed up having to buy utilities and tools just to keep the system in some kind of stable working state.

The same with anti-virus tools too. However, needs must (I still have several Windows machines for testing server etc) so I use the M$ antispyware tool (currently free) and that's it. Of course I don't use windows to surf on and I generally don't use it for ordering stuff on, so it's probably not *as* vulnerable as some are.

My advice: buy a mac or use Linux to surf through- much harder to tamper with and more secure by default ("out of the box"). The good news is Vista might go some way towards improving this situation. Here's hoping!

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast