+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, pc locking up when inserting clipart in publisher in Technical; we have a problem thats causing kids to loose work. When they try to insert clipart from the internet the ...

Thank Post

pc locking up when inserting clipart in publisher

we have a problem thats causing kids to loose work.
    When they try to insert clipart from the internet the pc locks up.

They then cant do anythink except hard reset the pc.

any ideas fellow techys????

Its publisher xp

Thank Post

Re: pc locking up when inserting clipart in publisher

We had a similar problem with publisher which was to do with the printer driver we put on for our Cam machines.

I would try messing with the printers as I have found in the past that Publisher has lots of problems with them.

Thank Post

I've had this problem before, it normally occurs when the internet connection is stressed, meaning publisher can download all the preview images fine, but if you insert the image in a document, it struggles to download the full sized image, and siezes up the machine. I've never found a solution myself, except to force publisher to close, and try again it usually works second time round.

Luckily it doesn't happen very often. It's funny this post should appear today as we've had problems with this today as well, makes me wonder whether there were problems at microsofts end.

I hate the on-line clipart libraries built into microsoft products, but there's no real alturnative that works effectively in my experience, so I guess they're here to stay!

Mike.

Thank Post

make sure you have the latest service pack installed - had this problem, service pack fixed it.

Thank Post

so are you saying it could be a problem at ms end. bandwidth perhaps from the clip art servers.

Shame MS can't sent the clip art on dvd so admins can stick them on central storage.

Thank Post

We had a similar problem that effected all offic 2003 program exept Word. It was due to the proxy authentication box, hiding behind the office application, making it look as if the OS had frozen.

The thread I open is here wich explains more detail:
    http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...authentication

The solution was to add the *office*.microsoft.com to the bypass proxy authentication using Active Directory.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Fletcher
    Easington Community School

Thank Post
    Old topic I know so apologies for pulling a Lazarus on it.

Can anyone advise me where to find a copy of the XP Media disk as our esteemed LEA didn't see fit to leave any media behind and whilst I have plenty of evidence that we had it preceding their departure there's nothing here.

Obviously I'm only looking for legal options but Of2k3 is doing my nut in with the online clip art gig.

Thank Post
    We had Office Online clipart trashing Office for a few weeks here - was driving the tutors nuts as a simple image would crash Word

In the end I disabled our JANET (RM) proxy filter as we thought the Internet had been a bit slow at the same time. The next week we get a stream of emails saying the service was down \ over demand... haven't turned it back on since

Using DansGuardian content filtering now, which is on the same level and less false positives. Clipart seems to be working OK now (touches wooden desk!)

Only other options are to disable Online Clipart via GPO (leads to low selection of images though), install Office XP media content or try find out what's slowing down your connection to Office Online (proxy?)

Edit: just saw the dates on the thread! We have the media but not sure about transferring it. Have you had a look on your MS licensing portal to see if it's on there as a digital download?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    We had Office Online clipart trashing Office for a few weeks here - was driving the tutors nuts as a simple image would crash Word
    Aye, the problem I'm experiencing at present... Initially thought it was a corrupt profile... It wasn't.

In the end I disabled our JANET (RM) proxy filter as we thought the Internet had been a bit slow at the same time. The next week we get a stream of emails saying the service was down \ over demand... haven't turned it back on since
    That's interesting... I'm pretty sure the bulk of the problems are down to a rather poor broadband connection filtered by county...

Using DansGuardian content filtering now, which is on the same level and less false positives. Clipart seems to be working OK now (touches wooden desk!)

Only other options are to disable Online Clipart via GPO (leads to low selection of images though), install Office XP media content or try find out what's slowing down your connection to Office Online (proxy?)
    Yeah that was what I was getting at... Apparently it is downloadable from my license provider but the bod I spoke to obviously went home and will be emailing the link tomorrow.

Edit: just saw the dates on the thread! We have the media but not sure about transferring it. Have you had a look on your MS licensing portal to see if it's on there as a digital download?
    Worry not... think it'll be sorted.. appreciate the info though.

Thank Post
    I think I will be contacting our licence provider as we are suffering downloading clipart in Office 2007 when multiple users are accessing it. Our LEA support said it is a known problem and no plans on fixing it either

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Old topic I know so apologies for pulling a Lazarus on it.

Can anyone advise me where to find a copy of the XP Media disk as our esteemed LEA didn't see fit to leave any media behind and whilst I have plenty of evidence that we had it preceding their departure there's nothing here.

Obviously I'm only looking for legal options but Of2k3 is doing my nut in with the online clip art gig.
    Same problem with us but I found copying the XP Media disk to a shared drive seems to have fixed it. PM your details and I'll send you a copy. I don't think there's a licence issue as long as you have 2003.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread