+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Read and Write Gold 9 problems with Prommisor in Technical; Hi all, we purchased a site licence for Read And Write 9 text to speech software over the summer primerily ...

Thank Post

Read and Write Gold 9 problems with Prommisor

Hi all,
    we purchased a site licence for Read And Write 9 text to speech software over the summer primerily to use instead of human readers. Obviously we tested the demo software and worked a treat with everything including Prommisor online testing software.
    A week before going live we seem to have run into a problem. What happens is that when Prommisor (version 8.97.210.9) is loaded R&W loses focus and will no longer read. When Prommisor is closed R&W continues merrily along. Promissor starts in full screen and does not allow for alt-tabbing so cannot check much when it is running.
    Having tested it so long ago I cant remember for sure that I didn't set any wierd option to make it work with Prommisor, but I'm 95% sure that I did not.
    My main thought is that it could be something to do with a Prommisor update nobbled this but can't test with an older version of Prommisor as it bombs out before the login screen.

I've not spoken to the R&W or Promissor people yet as I can see large amounts of buck passing when I do, so am interested to see if anyone else who uses these products has experienced similar issues.

Sorry for my rambling thread by the way, I'm good at rambing.

Cheers all.

Thank Post
    Hi all,
    sorry to top an old post, but I'm still no further along with this issue and hope one or two people will see this who missed it before.

To simplify the problem, the Peason Veu Promissor testing software seems to be incompatible with all text to speech accessibility software.

Does anyone here actually use Prommisor?
    Does anyone here actually use accessibility software?
    Does anyone here use them both together??

Thanks guys.

Thank Post

Talking Read&Write 9 Gold with Promissor

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Hi all,
    we purchased a site licence for Read And Write 9 text to speech software over the summer primerily to use instead of human readers. Obviously we tested the demo software and worked a treat with everything including Prommisor online testing software.
    A week before going live we seem to have run into a problem. What happens is that when Prommisor (version 8.97.210.9) is loaded R&W loses focus and will no longer read. When Prommisor is closed R&W continues merrily along. Promissor starts in full screen and does not allow for alt-tabbing so cannot check much when it is running.
    Having tested it so long ago I cant remember for sure that I didn't set any wierd option to make it work with Prommisor, but I'm 95% sure that I did not.
    My main thought is that it could be something to do with a Prommisor update nobbled this but can't test with an older version of Prommisor as it bombs out before the login screen.

I've not spoken to the R&W or Promissor people yet as I can see large amounts of buck passing when I do, so am interested to see if anyone else who uses these products has experienced similar issues.

Sorry for my rambling thread by the way, I'm good at rambing.

Cheers all.
    Dear Fluke

Can you give me a bit more information on what Promissor is? I would be able to advise if I knew what kind of software it is. One thing I thought of is that the Read&Write demo is virtualised and that may explain why the demo worked whereas the installed version may not.

Eimear
    Texthelp Technical Support

Thank Post
    unless i am mistaken, Promissor is a piece of software that allows you run secure exams. you have a server that downloads a secure exam to a share. this share is then accessed by promissor with a username and password and decrypted. Promissor runs in full screen and disables as much as it can. Eg Escape alt + f4, alt + tab so that you cannot cheat or do anything until you have finished the exam and hit quit.

Thank Post

Talking Read&Write 9 with Promissor

Quote Originally Posted by Dagaz View Post
    unless i am mistaken, Promissor is a piece of software that allows you run secure exams. you have a server that downloads a secure exam to a share. this share is then accessed by promissor with a username and password and decrypted. Promissor runs in full screen and disables as much as it can. Eg Escape alt + f4, alt + tab so that you cannot cheat or do anything until you have finished the exam and hit quit.
    Thanks for that clarification Dagaz. From past experience these type of environments track mouse hooks and keyboard hooks which Read&Write also uses for Screen reading and Spell Checking. There is an immediate conflict which causes both programs to stop responding. It is very difficult to support software with these applications as we cannot get logins to replicate the issue inhouse.

Eimear
    Texthelp Technical Support

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread