+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Smartboard 10, explorer CPU load & memory reqs' ? in Technical; Hi folks, I'm currently trying to understand why I'm getting a massive slowdown on a number of computers in some ...
    Thank Post

Question Smartboard 10, explorer CPU load & memory reqs' ?

Hi folks,

I'm currently trying to understand why I'm getting a massive slowdown on a number of computers in some classrooms and the common denominator seems to be a recent upgrade to Smartboard and Notebook 10.

One key symptom has been a massive surge in explorer CPU load with it hitting 98% and just keeling over with no discernible reason.

I've also found that upgrading Java has created issues as well so I'm at a loss...

One thing that has sprung to mind though is that these machines are all fairly low spec with only 512Mb RAM and sempron CPU's, running XP Pro SP3... I doubt that accounts for the explorer runaway but if anyone has any insights I'd sure like to hear them.

Thanks in advance...

Martin

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It's strange you mention problems with Smartboard 10. Interestingly a while back I was asked to look at a problem with a whiteboard and SB10. The workstation was running 10.1 and I was informed (after contacting support), that this version is particularly bad and that upgrading to 10.6 is recommended.

About a month or so ago I re-imaged workstations which included 10.6. Last week quite a few of the workstations I manage were reporting errors updating SB10 to the latest build, so a simple fix was to disable SB10 automatic updates using a registry fix.

In your situation, I would try uninstalling and re-installing the same build of SB10 you were using and see if the problems continue.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

contink (30th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Just double checked but I'm on 10.6 SP1...

In terms of problems though, I found that the process of un-installing Quicktime, Realplayer and reinstalling Quicktime, along with wiping problematic Java installers from the system and allowing the GPO responsible for Java 6.0.22 deployment finally complete.. Well basically the process killed the TCP/IP connection or some such for Smartboard drivers... Although what that has to do with smartboard is beyond me... Either way, I had to reinstall SB drivers to get it up and running.

The explorer issue has been with us ever since SB10 went on though...

With Ofsted pushed back to next week (courtesy of snow) I have some time to figure out what's what but it's doing my nut in..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I can confirm I'm using 10.6.94.0 and it's working absolutely fine.

6. Thanks to Michael from:

contink (6th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread