+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Purchase XP license via Ebay? in Technical; I am retired and have been running W2k for many years. Recently built a new desktop system for which I ...

Thank Post

Purchase XP license via Ebay?

I am retired and have been running W2k for many years. Recently built a new desktop system for which I licensed Win7-64 HP OEM. I don't like it, and, given an alternative, likely will run it little or none.

My new hardware does not support W2k, but it supports XP. To my knowledge, the only source (for me) for an XP license is Ebay. I am familiar with "full" and "OEM" versions, but some of the finer points of valid licensing I understand not.

Does anyone know what they are doing with XP licenses on Ebay? Some would be valid and some not? How to tell the difference? Several list COA and some prices look to be in line with XP retail prices about a year ago.

I have no desire to run software that is not properly licensed.

Thanks,
    P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MS can provide you with the downgrade media for a minimal cost provided you tell them the licence you have with W7

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just have a look for

• Users who have a good feedback
    • Not to cheap, will be to good to be true.
    • Make sure you get a COA sticker
    • Look at the photos see if you get the proper pack

As a side note, what version of Windows 7 do you have? Some versions (not all) it will allow you to downgrade to Windows XP for free.

Thank Post
    FN-GM, nephilim,

Thanks for your timely responses.

I have Win7 64-bit Home Premium OEM from TigerDirect. The MS page at Understanding Downgrade Rights indicates that I have no downgrade rights:

Other (non Pro, Ultimate) OEM Windows 7 versions (for instance, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.

Is it legal to swap an MS license with another user?

Thx,
    P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it legal to swap an MS license with another user?
    Not if it is OEM.

Thank Post
    Just a brief mention ... I've been looking into XP Pro licenses offered on Ebay, and I think maybe I've discovered "The Snake-Pit Of The Century". :-)

Due to the complexity of MS licensing, no seller perfectly describes the product offered. No doubt some are valid, some definitely are not, and there are lits in between.

There are many, many Dell-specific XP CD's, all offered as good for "any PC".

Looks to be even worse on Amazon.

Be glad that you needs not hassle such!

P
    Last edited by Pudding_Man; 3rd December 2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: cosmetic

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudding_Man View Post
    Recently built a new desktop system for which I licensed Win7-64 HP OEM. I don't like it, and, given an alternative, likely will run it little or none.
    Are there any specific bits you don't like, because there may be other options which don't involve buying another Windows license.

Does anyone know what they are doing with XP licenses on Ebay? Some would be valid and some not?
    eBay is too risky IMO. You will also find people selling product keys from their TechNet subscriptions on there too. Although the keys will activate, they are not legal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Are there any specific bits you don't like, because there may be other options which don't involve buying another Windows license.
    Aside from *nixes, mention a few.

Win7, with unjustified idiot-proofing, hand-cuffs both the user and the Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    eBay is too risky IMO. You will also find people selling product keys from their TechNet subscriptions on there too. Although the keys will activate, they are not legal.
    Lost me there with that last. In practical terms, what is the difference between activated and legal?

I sort of agree re Ebay: 'tis a snake-pit. But there is no alternative (to my knowledge).

P

Thank Post

Win7, with unjustified idiot-proofing, hand-cuffs both the user and the Admin.
    Could you be a bit more specific about what you don't like? Most of the idiot-proofing can be turned off or disabled such as UAC, once its been tweeked a bit it's actually a pretty good OS. Windows XP is getting pretty long in the tooth now and really wouldn't recommend it on a new PC. Any of the manufacturer OEM licences offered for sale such as HP or Dell are only legal if purchased with that manufacturers hardware, you need to find an unbranded OEM pack and purchase it with some form of hardware for it to be legal, plus it must be an unopened pack.

Thank Post
    I've bought a few off ebay, mainly to dig my Africa dwelling relatives out of using pirate copies - even computer stores in Nairobi sell ersatz software. I figured "slightly mis licenced" better than "totally shonky pirate key thats been all over the net for 5 years". Can't say I looked too deep - just bought XP Pro, COA. Bash. Done. Worked. Meh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    I've bought a few off ebay, mainly to dig my Africa dwelling relatives out of using pirate copies - even computer stores in Nairobi sell ersatz software. I figured "slightly mis licenced" better than "totally shonky pirate key thats been all over the net for 5 years". Can't say I looked too deep - just bought XP Pro, COA. Bash. Done. Worked. Meh.
    No doubt you know more about it than I.

Were what you bought in sealed packages? Recall what you payed? XP OEM Pro sealed appears to be going for about $90 on Ebay.

Does "slightly mis licenced" mean they just endure endless nag-screens? Whats the difference between that and "media only"?

You can't see the product key with a sealed package, can you? Have to open it to distinguish the key?

Thx,
    P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Could you be a bit more specific about what you don't like?
    Can you spare a couple/3 hours? :-)

Most of the idiot-proofing can be turned off or disabled such as UAC, once its been tweeked a bit it's actually a pretty good OS.
    It's everything. "Trusted Installer" ownership, super-screwy alleged security, endless mis-nomered folders like "My This", "My That", etc etc ad nauseum.

I'm used to multi-boot with legacy windows, allows me to do standalone backups, etc with common partitioning software. Now I install Win7 and it has to have 2 partitions. I have yet to find anyone that can explain what the extra 100mb partition does/doesn't do. They have buggered the standard partition scheme.

The clincher might be Workgroup. I have simplest imaginable net with ATT DSL, 2-wire router, W2k pc and Win7 pc, all hardwired. And I can't get it to work. Tryed with varying ip, static ip, posted queries on numerous forums. Nothing works.

Windows XP is getting pretty long in the tooth now and really wouldn't recommend it on a new PC.
    Windows is "King of the Desktop" and is a Big, Big Deal. Everyone has to execute their own "take" on the issue of Win7. I've looked it over pretty carefully, and my personal opinion (that I don't wish to argue) is that it is essentially Vista II.

Tons of folks have gotten tons of work done with XP in spite of MS. I don't see it going away nearly as soon as MS would like.

Any of the manufacturer OEM licences offered for sale such as HP or Dell are only legal if purchased with that manufacturers hardware, you need to find an unbranded OEM pack and purchase it with some form of hardware for it to be legal, plus it must be an unopened pack.
    So the song goes. Supposed to be the same for my Win7 OEM that I ordered from TigerDirect in 05-2010, and it shipped w/o hardware.

All I will consider will be "unopened pack". I hope that is relatively risk-free, but I don't actually know.

P

Thank Post
    Packages were sealed, I seem to remember paying about 30GBP, and at least one was shipped from germany.
    By "slightly mis licenced" I mean that I wasn't really adhering to "spirit" of the law by buying OEM XP with a "piece of hardware" (world's shortest CD sound cable anyone?) - but to my knowledge all of the licences I have bought have passed GA and don't have nag, get updates etc. - I shall double check next week when I'm in Nairobi - sure the mother in law will have a few "little" problems I need to poke my beak into

Pretty sure you're correct that you have to open the package. I don't know about knowing more than you; to be fair I just "hit and hoped" looking for sellers with decent ratings. I hope you have the same success.

14. Thanks to tom_newton from:

Pudding_Man (7th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Packages were sealed, I seem to remember paying about 30GBP, and at least one was shipped from germany.
    By "slightly mis licenced" I mean that I wasn't really adhering to "spirit" of the law by buying OEM XP with a "piece of hardware" (world's shortest CD sound cable anyone?) - but to my knowledge all of the licences I have bought have passed GA and don't have nag, get updates etc. - I shall double check next week when I'm in Nairobi - sure the mother in law will have a few "little" problems I need to poke my beak into

Pretty sure you're correct that you have to open the package. I don't know about knowing more than you; to be fair I just "hit and hoped" looking for sellers with decent ratings. I hope you have the same success.
    Many thanks, that is helpful info.

All the sellers with Dell-branded XP CD's (which I've heard are "bios-locked") claim it will install on any system. There was one in Germany that stated that the OEM license was previously registered, that a German court found it legal to re-register, and it was OK to install in any country (at least strongly implied).

On the other hand, I dug up some old Emails that indicated that MS was often pretty liberal about re-registering OEM copies of XP. One fella said he was on his 3rd build/motherboard.

Well, I've got a pretty good idea of what is involved. With a bit of care, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Danke,
    P
    Last edited by Pudding_Man; 4th December 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: cosmetic

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread