+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Bit of an odd one, looking for ideas in Technical; Hi all, Bit of a long shot this one but wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before. In ...
    Thank Post

Bit of an odd one, looking for ideas

Hi all,

Bit of a long shot this one but wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before.

In the last 2 months we've had several, seemingly random, people encountering the same problem. The problem is that they are able to log in and run programs etc, but the moment they go to browse their documents, their machine locks up. (the list of documents, files and folders etc, show but it then freezes up the machine).

It does that for them on any PC on the network, oddly though you can copy their docs out , create a new account for them and copy their docs onto the new account and it still locks up when they browse their docs. Which made me suspect something in their files, however their files are all normal run of the mill office files, pics etc. AV finds nothing unusual in their docs and there appears to be no connection between their files and the files of the others that are having the same problem.

I can log in as admin and browse through their docs without issue. I did wonder whether there was something wonky with folder redirection but it seems to be redirecting fine, its only when you browse the docs list itself that it freezes.

Prior to this starting we've never had a similar problem , theres been no new software recently, nor any major server side changes that I could see might affect it. Its happening seemingly to random people, probably about half a dozen now and despite my best lines of thought I just cant seem to see why.

Anyone ever seen anything like that?

Thank Post
    We had something like this when a server died and we migrated data. Turned out to be files pointing to the none existent server via unc paths pst files crashing outlook, short-cuts trying to find icons ect on none existent shares.

the users on the same profile?

3. Thanks to LiamH from:

Jake (25th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks,

Nothing has changed serverwise, same servers as last year, same users, same shares. Only server which has changed in the last several months was our SIMs server which I rebuilt, but these are student accounts on PCs that dont have SIMs access. I suppose they might have shortcuts to USB sticks or something though.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread