+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, User Profile Issue in Technical; Hello fellow EduGeeks :-) Ok so here is the problem that my colleges are facing at the moment. For a ...
    Thank Post

User Profile Issue

Hello fellow EduGeeks :-)

Ok so here is the problem that my colleges are facing at the moment.

For a while now we have been having issues with user profiles. in that when a user logs onto the system they are presented with an error message saying that the system cannot find a tile in the temporary internet files. This is bizare in that the profiles that we use are mandatory for all users staff and students.

The computers are all windows XP SP3.

So while that is the first part the next stage is also bizaare in that in one centre the issue may only affect two users on the same two computers. In another centre all of the users on different computers, in another a few users on some computers and for other they work fine all the time.

I have tested and used a variety of tools so that the user profiles are removed from the local computer on either shutdown or bootup and the problem still remains.

- So far I have used various tools from MS such as delprof / hive clean up
    - a rather brutal script from Edugeek that deletes profiles on boot up
    - forcing gpos that explicty say to ignore any profile changes (not needed as the profiels are mandatory)
    - remove profile on logoff (via a gpo policy)

For some centers they are able to reset the students password and it works fine for the day, at another they have to reset the password each time a student wants to logon to the network.

on a couple of the machines I have seen the following error messages:

-----------------------------------------------

issue is profile IE temp files
    ===================
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1509
    Date: 14/09/2010
    Time: 08:44:35
    User: localdomain\blogsj
    Computer: COMPUTER1
    Description:
    Windows cannot copy file \\localdomain.local\config$\redirects\Staff\profil e\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0R7G8Y0K\=top_ad;sect=liverpool-fc-news;templ=page;cat=Sport;reg=NW;st=r2;oid=2690816 9;sz=255x90;gs_cat=sportdvd;zone=liverpool-fc;zone1=liverpool-fc-news;tile=2;ord=9958331657741996000[1] to location C:\Documents and Settings\gravep\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0R7G8Y0K\=top_ad;sect=liverpool-fc-news;templ=page;cat=Sport;reg=NW;st=r2;oid=2690816 9;sz=255x90;gs_cat=sportdvd;zone=liverpool-fc;zone1=liverpool-fc-news;tile=2;ord=9958331657741996000[1]. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The filename or extension is too long.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

----------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1500
    Date: 14/09/2010
    Time: 08:31:52
    User: localdomain\blogsj
    Computer: COMPUTER1
    Description:
    Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The operation completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
    Last edited by bottletop; 25th November 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Is the file in the actual profile stored on the server?

Please dont take this as me being rude but are you sure the profile is mandatory. Is it a ntuser.man?

Thank Post
    Description:
    Windows cannot copy file \\localdomain.local\config$\redirects\Staff\profil e\Local

I noticed this from your snippet above. Are you profiles redirecting properly? There is a space in profile between the l and e.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On the server copy of the profile, delete everything under Local Settings - there's nothing there that needs to be in the local copy of the profile, it will delay the logon even if it works and I'm guessing you're just hitting something like "path too long errors"

5. Thanks to srochford from:

bottletop (26th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Read this: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind...-profiles.html

The problem is caused by the local temporary file path being too long. The path to the offending file is 281 characters. Explorer chokes on more than 255 characters in a path.

Even though the profile is mandatory, the path depth problem makes the local machine *think* it's uploaded the profile (and thus try to sync it on subsequent logins) AFAICT. Cleaning the profile on logoff also doesn't work because of the path depth problem. Manually cleaning the profile (in our case) fixes the issue.

I have two staff users with similar browsing habits that triggered this.

My quick-and-dirty fix was to block the offending domains (look in your proxy logs - it appears to be a syndicated advert to do with Liverpool FC) on the proxy. The slightly more elegant fix (untested yet) courtesy of tomnewton was this regex:

Code:
    [^\/\&\;\#]{121,}\..{1,3}$ would block anything who's final bit is over 120 chars
    ie Not slashes, &, # or ; for 121 characters, then a dot, then between 1 and 3 of anything, then the end of the string.
    Be aware you need something Squid-like for the above and it's entirely untested and I didn't ascertain whether Toms caffeine levels were at acceptable levels. YMMV.
    Which would block anything will a filename longer than 120 characters.

Thank Post
    at one of the centres I have done the following removed and reinstalled IE8 onto all of the computers. Redone the Mandatory profile, manualy installed delprof and hive cleanup (for housekeeping) along with running any windows updates. when testing with my test users all appeared to be working well (so Far). I got several of the students and staff to also check and said that I would check back in the morning.

What is interesting in centres that are uisng IE7 the issue of profiles does not happen.

However what I have not yet figured out is why on some computers it is only one or two users that are affected and everybody else is ok. There is a single mandatory profile for students and a single mandatory profile for staff. so why would there be an issue for say one or two users and not for others. also the same two users could use another computer without any problems.

while going down the profile route is I think part of the problem it is this randomness that is causing the issue

Thank Post
    Yes it is ntuser.man :-)

Thank Post
    Did you ever find a solution to this issue other than blocking offending domains?

Thank Post
    By what you are saying, it looks like another IE thing. I had experience with Mandatory profiles sometimes it goes good and bad. I am thinking when the profile was created some Internet Browsing happened and store it in the Temporary Internet files like it does when it caches stuff. Make a backup copy of the profile and try it without the Content.IE5. Besides I don't know why that peace of unreadable junk is their in the first place.

Regards,
    Patrick
    Last edited by Patrickv; 3rd June 2012 at 03:34 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread