+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Shutdown Script - Simple Question in Technical; Could someone remind me of the switch to make shutdowns optional, I run a simple script from task scheduler in ...
    M0MST

Shutdown Script - Simple Question

Could someone remind me of the switch to make shutdowns optional, I run a simple script from task scheduler in server 2008 r2 which just shutsdown any machines left on, however sometimes staff are still here or the site manager is working, I have just forgotten the switch to make it optional, below is our script

Shutdown -f -s -m \\ICT-01

Thanks
    Dan

Thank Post
    I'm not sure you can using the shutdown.exe command. I use psshutdown to do it here which I know there is a switch to cancel it. Plus you can specify a text file list of computers so you dont have to have one per line in a .bat file.

Hope this helps.

3. Thanks to bladedanny from:

Thank Post
    shutdown.exe doesn't allow for cancelling without running "shutdown.exe -a" which obviously most people cannot (command prompt is likely disabled, and the user probably couldn't work out how to run it anyway). There's a million free programs out there which will give you the option, I'm with the psshutdown recommendation.

You *do* have PSTools installed on your management server, right?

Thank Post
    I do this:

@echo off
    REM Copies shutdown executable to local computer from network location and sets shutdown times in Scheduled Tasks.
    REM Script also checks for name of pc and if found to be a server ie fp* does not copy file or add tasks.

@set str=%computername%
    @set pos12=%str:~0,2%
    @echo %pos12%

REM If computer name starts FP* ie one of the servers then do nothing
    if %pos12%==FP goto End

REM If computer name starts IL* ie the ILIBRA server then do nothing
    if %pos12%==IL goto End

REM Else carry out adding tasks below

if not exist "c:\shutdown.exe" copy "\\fp4\shapps\shutdown\shutdown.exe" c:\

at /delete /yes
    at 09:10 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 10:10 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 11:05 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 11:30 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 12:30 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 13:30 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 14:15 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 14:45 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 15:45 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 16:45 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."
    at 18:00 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\shutdown.exe -i -s shutdown -f -l 30 -m "SHUTTING DOWN INACTIVE COMPUTER."

:END

6. Thanks to kennysarmy from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I'm not sure you can using the shutdown.exe command. I use psshutdown to do it here which I know there is a switch to cancel it. Plus you can specify a text file list of computers so you dont have to have one per line in a .bat file.

Hope this helps.
    What do you do with Win7 Machines which winge with the "interactive services" message?

M0MST
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post

Hope this helps.
    Excellent

Ill have a look at that

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    What do you do with Win7 Machines which winge with the "interactive services" message?
    Sorry, I've not had to look into that yet as only have XP here atm.

M0MST
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbrown View Post
    shutdown.exe doesn't allow for cancelling without running "shutdown.exe -a" which obviously most people cannot (command prompt is likely disabled, and the user probably couldn't work out how to run it anyway). There's a million free programs out there which will give you the option, I'm with the psshutdown recommendation.

You *do* have PSTools installed on your management server, right?
    No I do not yet have PSTools installed, I will look as PSshutdown and give it a go.

Thanks all

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread