+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Only An Administrator Can Print in Technical; Originally Posted by glennda Well technically it is a network printer if I'm reading it right but its server is ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Well technically it is a network printer if I'm reading it right but its server is just another XP machine rather then one shared off a server with an IP print port.
    It is a locally installed USB printer shared out out to other machines.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    but is it not the other machines you are having a problem with? not the one with it locally attached?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    but is it not the other machines you are having a problem with? not the one with it locally attached?
    Yes, it is the other machines that we are having difficulties with. The PC with the printer locally installed works fine. You can login as any type of user and the printer works. It's when you add the printer to another machine, an administrator can print to it, but if you login as any other user, you can't see the printer within Printers & Faxes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    so its a network printer, just not networked using an ip port. its the same as if you plugged the usb lead directly into a standard print server. I think if you login as the local administrator and add the printer i might keep it. if not you need to put a script. I am at home today with only my ubuntu laptop so cannot test sorry.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech1 View Post
    Yes, it is the other machines that we are having difficulties with. The PC with the printer locally installed works fine. You can login as any type of user and the printer works. It's when you add the printer to another machine, an administrator can print to it, but if you login as any other user, you can't see the printer within Printers & Faxes.
    That doesn't and won't happen automatically with a Local Shared printer.

You must login as the user, go to 'Add a printer' and add a shared printer. The wizard then scans the network to look for all shared and betwork printers and you can then add it complete the process.

Alternatively use a script.

If you are sat at the machine with the local printer, the printer is added automagically while you are working on that machine, but does not stay there if you move elsewhere.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd November 2010 at 09:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Network printers are installed on the User profile. You will need to install it locally or create a script to install it on login for users.

To install a printer locally, When it asks you if its local/network select local and untick automatically detect.
    When it asks which port create a new local port with the share name ie \\pc\printershare

This should install it for all users.

If its still having problems the vb script i posted before should work.

Thank Post
    I have a spare print server in stock so I'm thinking the easiest way of resolving this is to just make the local printer a network one, and install it on each of the machines one at a time.

I just can't understand why it isn't working as we have another setup in another part of the school with it working fine. On the other setup, as far as I can remember, I logged in as a local admin, installed the printer, teacher logs in, the printer is viewable and it works fine. I then shared the printer, logged in as a local admin on the workstation next to it, found the share, and connected it, printer works fine for the admin. A teacher logs in, and it works fine for them, but now I'm trying to do the same thing again in another room, and I'm getting this probelm.

Thanks for all the help anyway.
    Last edited by Tech1; 23rd November 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    And you tried adding it as a local printer on the remote machine?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    And you tried adding it as a local printer on the remote machine?
    On the remote machine I am just going to the PC that it is installed to, start, run, \\machinename then right clicking the printer and clicking connect. This then adds the printer to the remote machine, where I can print fine from as an administrator. Just not from any other account that logs in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    On the remote machine I am just going to the PC that it is installed to, start, run, \\machinename then right clicking the printer and clicking connect. This then adds the printer to the remote machine, where I can print fine from as an administrator. Just not from any other account that logs in.
    Only An Administrator Can Print

Thank Post
    The problem is thats installing it as a remote printer. Trick is to install it as a local printer on the remote machine (all users) but to point the port to the share. IE \\machinename\sharename. To do that see the instructions i posted before and see if that helps

Thank Post
    You did remember to turn off the firewall (or enable the file and print sharing exception) on the machine the printer's plugged in to didn't you?

Edit:

Just read your original post again. Of course you did, or you wouldn't have been able to see the printer either
    Last edited by BatchFile; 23rd November 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    You did remember to turn off the firewall (or enable the file and print sharing exception) on the machine the printer's plugged in to didn't you?

Edit:

Just read your original post again. Of course you did, or you wouldn't have been able to see the printer either
    Yep, first thing I checked when I saw that there was a problem.
    Last edited by Tech1; 23rd November 2010 at 02:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    It's fairly simple to deploy a printer connected to a workstation. This technique will work with Server 2003 R2 or 2008.

Firstly (on the workstation), install the printer, share it, then add permissions accordingly.

On the server, within Print Management you can add Print Servers. Add the workstation the printer is connected to and you should see the printer share automatically.

You can now deploy this using Group Policies per computer, per user or a combination. Just make sure that workstation stays on, otherwise the print queue will become huge...

15. Thanks to Michael from:

elsiegee40 (23rd November 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12